Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What do to with a 20' by 12' "Jade Asian" rug
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 6:41:17 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Locally I am going over to look at huge rug. Currently I only have one picture which certainly has the indication of a nice rug. Story is it was appraised 10 year ago for $28,000 ( I have heard that before for a terrible rug) seller doesnt know anything about it, and she will now take a best offer. Obviously a rug of that size doesn't have to be too high per sq to add up fast. I would actually think if would be woth more for a private party if it was smaller.

Question, if I was to buy such a rug, is there a market for this on ebay or elsewhere. I know some dealer take consignment, but I'm not sure in this market how available that is. If I paid, let's say $800 (saying this without knowing much at all about the rug, but simply wondering about market for large rugs). and was willing to wait 2 years would I be crazy to pass it up. I'm not a dealer, I have a great day job working in medical sales, but it's fun to do a little horse trading (I was originally from Montana and this type of things got in my blood).

I will try to get more pictures later.

Thanks
File Attachment(s):
huge.JPG (3,457kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 6:53:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Here's my two cents. It looks like a hotel lobby carpet. As such, you'd have to ask who the customer would be for A) that size and B) that quality and style. Huge rugs say eithr massive wealth in big houses, loft scapes, or commercial spaces. A start up commercial space might be looking for just that rug. Probably not at $25+ thousand dollars. A lot of rural renovation of barns into homes are looking for big rugs, but not that style by a long shot. Someone with a grand home who can pay 5 digits for a carpet, probably isn't looking for that style of carpet unless they just won the lottery and are moving from the burbs to the bigger burbs. RugPro may disagree, but having been around the decorating scene in upstate NY, I'm not seeing it except in in a start up commercial space that can't afford brand new carpeting. For me personally, looking at several different markets, I wouldn't buy that run at any price because I believe it's what might be called a "white elephant." I'll be curious to see what Pro says. Size matters and size talks, but only in quality works.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 7:22:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

If it's a nichols it certainly would have been appraised that much if it were in great condition, and it could be a Nichols. But like you said, that's a load of crock in 99% of cases.

Like Krow said, most people want these 9x12 sizes,

But in reality, who is sending just one tiny photograph to you like this? We can look at this and make assumptions, but there's no substance to what we could say.

Can't tell you anything about that $800. What I can say is the rug is 240 square feet, and we've only seen a couple feet of that area so I wouldn't even be thinking about money at all yet.

Try to get photos like these posted of the rug. We'll help you however we can,

http://www.rugrag.com/po...nd-Oriental-Carpets.aspx
btuma6 Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 8:05:36 AM(UTC)

I think white elephant might be a good discription. I haven't seen the whole rug yet. Why? The seller's VM is full so there must be alot folks circling. The offer was "best offer" so if nothing else I will see what how high things go, and still get pictures to pass along.
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 8:17:35 AM(UTC)

Forgive me if skeptical, I'm just curious because if you look at the upper left corner of the pic the rug ends but the design doesn't. this is not typical for a nichols
btuma6 Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 10:22:16 AM(UTC)

I'm seeing the rug at 6. I was told the picture is only a corner design and the bulk of the rug is a solid jade color. Is that typical of a nichols?
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 11:02:17 AM(UTC)

for the most part, yes.

don't be thrown off by the white knots, a lot of worn nichols rugs have them. wear should be even

http://www.rugrag.com/po...-Carpet-White-Knots.aspx
btuma6 Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 6:12:00 PM(UTC)

Just took a look at the rug, and unfortunately forgot to take my camera. I don't think it was a Nichols since there was no sense of it being a 1930-40s rug. The mother is now approaching alzheimer so she couldn't add an comments, but the rug was in very good shape including the fringe with no signs fo age.
I put a quarter down and counted eight row so I'm not sure where 64kpsi would fall in with nichols

I go back to my original question about selling a large rug, which was answered with the "white elephant" It was a very nice rug, although to me liking the Iranian look for a big rug, not a "wow" rug. So to me to take a risk on a white elephant it would have to be very impressive. I actually like my small 2 by3 antique rug more than the large 20"er rug both for interest factor and utility. It's a lot easy getting a good frame and finding a 3' space on a wall, that finding a place for a 20"er. No I did not buy the rug.
RugPro Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 8:53:11 PM(UTC)

btuma,

you've brought a lot of awesome rugs to the forum. 64 would be about right for nichols knot density or therebouts.

Trading here and there can really be good.

If the rug were in decent shape, no big problems I could forsee spending a couple bucks looking to sell in 2 years. it's a good time frame.

12x20 is a monster rug, but it's possible if you get a good deal, it's well worth the wait. I'm not saying it's all bs: Are there rugs out there that would have appraised for 28k 10 years ago and now sell for 800 now? absolutely. But what's happened since? They don't want to get it appraised again? why 800 and not a clean 1k? it really could be a great deal tho, some people just want to sell and sell quick

Nichols rugs for the most part don't seem as moth prone as some others, but you still have to maintain the rug if it's in storage, y'know. A rug can't go unused for 2 years without a good cleaning first, and that can cost a couple bucks. If the price is right, that can mitigate costs of cleaning...

This is the thing. like you said and krow said, it's a big rug to have around. If you can use it in the meantime and enjoy it while having it posted to ebay looking for a buyer, why not. Some great deals in rugs turn up in the homes of old homes in the US, why not use it for utility, investment (in some cases) and flip it.

Btuma, I love rugs. If I were you in the position to buy and this rug were in very good shape, and a real nichols I would grab it why not. But the photo is too tough to tell if it's a good deal. A lot of times you have to go with your gut. You say you like traditional, I do too. But if you feel like it's a good deal, try it out.

We talk a lot about rugs on the forum. of course looking at pictures is nothing like seeing the rug, so there's only so much we can say with a snapshot.

Keep it up though, the more photos the better, and I think we all support the love for rugs in here :)

Can you tell why the design ended? was it no question hand made?

Bonn Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 9:40:56 PM(UTC)

Hi btuma,

Total rug rookie here a talkin', but I kind of like this. Pretty luminous green, maybe? (I'm biased and like green and floral!) (One photo hard to go on). I'm not seeing a size mentioned except huge (?).

My idea is that , as RugPro is saying, if this is a quality rug it may be worth it. I could see that rug (from the corner we can see of it), going in an all-white loft/studio/reno. industrial space (popular now). It would naturally be the focus.

May have appeal to someone seeking a less geometric pattern than those found on other big rugs?

If you had room for it or a place to store it until/while you sell it, why not? If you got it for $1K, I could see someone paying $2-3K+ for a special big rug with some slight provenance/lifeforce to it if the alternative was unattractive mass produced rug or wall to wall something. Then you would have $1-2K+ for another antique Chinese rug or other piece.

Might be a slightly naive Midwestern perspective on my part, but that rug would sell here for that, no problem.

I see a big white space, lots of light, comfy all white furniture, with pillows/cushions picking up the rug colors.......

Oh, I see the 12x20 size mentioned now. That is not out of line if you have a big empty loft and want a special carpet.

Just my intial 2 cent reaction.

Bonn
btuma6 Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 10:11:26 PM(UTC)

RugPro, my only concern regarding being a nichols is that it looked too nice to be 70 years old. Could this be a modern copy of a nichols. The rug looks exactly like this picture of a nichols, except much cleaner lines and jade rather than red. By exactly I mean two large florals coming from two corners, and the basis floral is the same.
I simply mentioned $800 as a suggested offer. She would be delighted to get $2,000, but she also just needs to get rid of a very large rug. Her mother was an Orientlal fan, as seen by the other examples and has a turn of the century wood floor house, but that is all going away. She did a very bad job of advertising so I don't think the rug is going anywhere.

To answer your questions....The orginal posted picture wasn't the corner so it only appears to end. Although the jade rug has even more elaborate design at the base of the floral than the picture below. There is no question it is a hand knotted rug

I will go back tomorrow get some pictures of the desired positions, post them and then see about buyng it on Sunday. A possible market might be an upscale Chinese restaurant. I would take it from your comments and from what I've read that a nichols is top of the class for Chinese rugs
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
art_deco_rugs_4860lrg.jpg