Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Does a picture make a difference
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:36:59 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Before I bought this rug, I asked the forum how old it was and added the pictures it came with. RugPro stated with was about 1910, rough shape and a Chinese open weave. I now include some additonal pictures to see if more can be added.

Also the rug has white "spots" that are higher than the rest of the pile, My wife who used to make modern rugs as a hobby said the white spots were simply bulges in the original spun wool. She said it wasn't a wear spot or defect (lathough it would seem t be a defect in spinning the wool. Not to doubt my wife, but does that sound correct or is it a feature of age?

I had also stated the story was apprsised for $1,800. fifteen years ago. That remark was an indication the rug wasn't all that valuable. and viewed the $1,800 as a fishman's story as were other stories told about the rug. Her 98 year old grandmother was rich, took immaculate care of the rug and it was never really usedd. Sure woudl be nice if people wouldn't believe that we were all naive and they needed to add to what wasnt there.

My daughter has a room full of Chinese collectiables. I am going to frame the rug, and hope that the rug's primative state gives the room a sense of added age. Most of Chinese pottery,furniture doesn't really show age.

Thanks
File Attachment(s):
chincorner.jpg (1,288kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
chinflower.jpg (1,681kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
chinfold.jpg (2,134kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
chinfull2.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:04:02 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

That's an interesting point about the age. It's a cool rug. The white spots are areas where the warps popped while stringing the loom. Seems like some of these chinese rugs have a greater propensity to show this knots as there are a lot of them.

Some people dye them, some poke them through to the back of the rug. Personally I think it's best to just leave them, they're part of the structure of the rug, and just about anything done to fix it could have an adverse affect or be very time consuming.

Do you like it? Is it what was expected?

Thanks for sharing, it's a really nice little piece
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:11:53 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I do like it for the sense of age. It's a terrible shame the center motif is so worn. It is and isn't what I expected. I saw the picture and saw the wear. At the same time the seller put on an elaborate story about how it was hardly ever used by a rich 98 year old grandmother and a 85 year old aunt who had only used it in storage.

It seems like she was trying to set me up to buy other rugs from the "estate" which is another long story. Hey, if she actually has other old rugs for this price I'll bite. The seller was so anxoius for me to see the rug that she would send it immediately. Immediately meant a week later when I had to ask for the tracking number (darn post office she said, it must of just sat there. Therefore, again it is a lesson in rug buying from strangers.

I only spent $100 on the rug so I was willing to take the risk, and it I so like it to be framed. Hopefully, my daughte will like it even more.