Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Identification, age, neophyte help please!
Bonn Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:33:06 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello everyone,

So glad to find this forum! I am wondering if anyone would be so kind as to assist me with the identification of this rug for style, approximate age, etc. It is 8 x 5-ish.

About the only thing I can say with certainty is that I believe it is wool Angel .

The main part of the rug is in good ? condition, the main problem is on the long edges. Does anyone have any idea what it might cost (varies by part of the US, I'm sure) to have the long edges redone? If it is too expensive for me to have this done (as I fear it may be), would the best thing be to tack together the parts that are coming apart and keep it out of the traffic path (i.e. keep those edges under furniture) if I would like to use it in a room?

It could use a wash and I have a good reference for a rug launderer, but I know it can't be washed in its current condition.

The colors don't excite me (but I appreciate them) - I'm more of a pink and red person.....

Do you think it is handmade?

Thanks for your help!

Bonn[img][/img][img][/img]
Bonn attached the following image(s):
DSC03707.JPG
DSC03696.JPG
DSC03698.JPG
DSC03699.JPG
DSC03700.JPG
DSC03701.JPG
DSC03702.JPG
DSC03704.JPG
DSC03705.JPG
DSC03706.JPG
DSC03708.JPG
DSC03709.JPG
DSC03711.JPG
DSC03713.JPG
Yukirug.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:17:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

I take it that's you in the last shot? You're definitely siamese, but not wool.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:23:33 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hello Bonn and Welcome to the forum. Very glad you have found us! I like the Cat!

You've provided good photographs. Typical Tabriz/bidjar/mahi design. The pile appears to be wool, in addition to the foundation as well? Slightly less common to see this in a powerloomed rug.

Quick glance, I do not believe it would be cost effective to rebind the edges/selvages. The reason I say this is this appears to be a machine made carpet. The knots appear rougher and coarser, arrangement dictates such, as do the selvages which do not penetrate the pile of the rug, but rather are wrapped around the edge of the rug, and stitched on with precise machine stitches. Most telling is they also appear to have been woven in the opposite direction of a hand knotted rug. e.g. the wefts are running the length rather than the width, abnormal for a portrait oriented hand knotted rug.

#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:17:58 PM(UTC)
Groups:

God bless both Krow and Pro. And everyone who rhymes wit dem.

The feline is called a "Snow Shoe Siamese" Not machine made. Meaning not inbred, & so probably way smarter than average. Also healthier.
Bonn Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:54:09 PM(UTC)

Wow! I spent hours reading on this site and these boards. Feels like I took at least a summer class in rugs! How could I never have been very interested or aware of them before? Oh, the shame and the ignorance!

RugPro: thank you for telling me the name of the style and how it was made. Hope to learn more about all of these rugs.

Jilly: My cat was born feral and rescued from a barn in northern Minnesota. Her name is Yuki, which means snow in Japanese. You are right, well above average in both intelligence and sweet disposition. One of her hobbies is ferreting out the subtle nuances of fine floorcoverings. Why, just now she knocked over a glass of water on this here rug to check the quality of the wool!

Thanks for sharing the depth of knowledge with us, rug people!
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:10:44 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I applaud YOUR intelligence, erudition, and also yr sardonicism... along with yr empathy & ability to "be" the creature. Feral, in the presence of enlightened... is a PHASE. Forget the elegance of yr self-deprication....always a sign of an evolved creature.

A comment, if I might, on ignorance: without it, would the journey have the thrilling dynamic it does EVERY SECOND? Methinks the real sin isn't pride, it is FALSE PRIDE. But you already know that.

Can I have yr camera now? lol
Bonn Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:48:55 PM(UTC)

Lol, thanks Jilly, you may have the camera!

"A comment, if I might, on ignorance: without it, would the journey have the thrilling dynamic it does EVERY SECOND? Methinks the real sin isn't pride, it is FALSE PRIDE"

So true, and what a gift we are given each day in our "new eyes", as you mentioned somewhere here via Proust, if we will just open them - for example, my "rug eyes" today!

As I read your posts I wonder two things:

1) what type of reader you are (sorry if I missed that somewhere)

2) why do you suddenly have -335 "points" on the sidebar? Over the word limit or? (Just kidding!)
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:17:53 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Lol, thanks Jilly, you may have the camera!

TOUCHE. LOL

"A comment, if I might, on ignorance: without it, would the journey have the thrilling dynamic it does EVERY SECOND? Methinks the real sin isn't pride, it is FALSE PRIDE"

So true, and what a gift we are given each day in our "new eyes", as you mentioned somewhere here via Proust, if we will just open them - for example, my "rug eyes" today!

Yep, Marcel nailed it. did a whole essay called Remembrance of Rugs Past. Would I make that up?

As I read your posts I wonder two things:

1) what type of reader you are (sorry if I missed that somewhere)

Will be happy to share in a PM & also attach thing in an email. An administrator here already has me on a watch list, and who can blame him, I have no off switch and tring to rein myself in. I am also a wildly published writer among other things. But essentially, in my evening work, I am an adviser to a vast array of clients, relationship issues, career issues, etc. BUT NOT RUGS.

2) why do you suddenly have -335 "points" on the sidebar? Over the word limit or? (Just kidding!)

She twinkles, she winks.....good energy!