Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Origin of antique rug
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 11:07:24 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I just purchased the small attached rug, and I am interested in it's region/country of origin. I haven't recieved the rug so these are their pictures

I was told it was a family rug from a 98 year old grandmother's estate who got it from a 85 year old aunt. Their family must have good genes. It was given to the grandmother's family at her birth. I was also told a five year old appraisal gave it a value of $1,800. Therefore, I have no fantasy of great value. This family member did not have the appraisal

I'm not sure of true colors when it arrives versus the pictures.

Thanks,
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
boughtt.jpg
bought2.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 11:36:42 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

China!

It is old, I pin this as just post turn 1900, perhaps 1910-30, although most of the cutoff I believe for this type was around 1910 despite the hint to an art Deco style.

I can't remember if they call this exact variety the "antique finish" Chinese rugs or not, this may only be for the Peking antiques.... Anyway, without going into too much detail, this is what is more conveniently, and generally known as an "open back" chinese. This "open back" terminology is really only used for Chinese Rugs, although other carpets from various areas in NW Persia may have similar orientation including some Peshawar Caucasian Kazak carpets. I say conveniently because when you see detail of the back, you can see both sides of the knot. In this example, you see one large node of the knot, and an additional smaller node adjacent. Both the same knot, but it's "open" to see both sides.

As for the value, it's in rough shape. $1800 is a really high assignment to value if Its around a 2x3 which it appears. What size is it?

Personally from a decorative standpoint I think it's kinda neat to have an old rug show signs of use, but from a collectible standpoint these are really rugs to be used and enjoyed.
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 12:10:00 PM(UTC)

It is a 2X3, and I took the appraisal to be an insurance appraisal rather than current market appraisal. I was told insurance appraisals can be high since they give room for future appreciation.

I am simply going to use the rug fo personal use. Depending on colors when it arrives, I probably will hand it in my den. That is the same reason I might bid on the prior rug I noted. The problem in that situation is its size.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 12:17:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Insurance appraisals can be very high, but this one is particularly high. I'd be curious who they got it from. The problem is if it's way too high, you'll have one hell of a time trying to recover the money for it. do you mind me asking how much you paid?
btuma6 Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 6:37:11 PM(UTC)

I paid $100 so certainly it is worth the risk that the rug is a beat up mess, and the appraisal only a marker to note. My hope is that the pictures were bad, and catching a reflection. The claim was the rug was hardly used. One reason I am asking the question and am anxioius to see the rug is the seller has more rugs from the same estate.
When I get this rug I will attach a picture to compare with the first.