Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Runner fragment impact on value, and antique rug?
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 1, 2009 9:49:01 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I bought a rug advertised on ebay, from a highly rated seller, as a 3X20 1920 lavar Kerman. The seller was careful not to show borders. I paid a minimal price, but when it arrived I discovered it was a fragment. At least I believe it is a fragment since it is not symetrical and flowers are cut in half (the seller pleads ignorance). I have since decided rather than keepnig it, I will be selling it as a fragment.
Question, it is in very nice shape and 361kpsi. and an attractive rug with a unique pastel green color. I have seen other fragment runners from borders, but none from the middle.
What does the fact of being a fragment do to the asking price. My thought is to ask $400 and wait for someone who wants that large of a runner. Am I crazy high or low? Obviously a buyer's view would vary.

Also, just a quick question. the last picture is being advertised as a very old 1800's antique. That does sound plausible?

Thank you
File Attachment(s):
runnerstairs.jpg (1,766kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
runnercorner.jpg (1,430kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
runnerback.jpg (1,387kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
antiqueques3.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 1, 2009 10:38:54 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

The rug on the bottom has what's sometimes referred to as a "safavid" or Herat inspired border. without seeing additional photos I cannot say for sure what it is or the age. Looks like it may have silk and could be as old as they say. The only thing throwing me off are the animals. They're depicted too "loose" an interpretation of animal motif to be much earlier in my opinion, although more pics I could say more definitively.

The Kerman runner is part of what probably was a 12 or 13x20' rug. Going by the kilim, pistachio color, design.... It's fair to say this absolutely is hand knotted, it's from Iran. The design was a covered field (probably medallion), woven in Kerman. As you mentioned, it's taken from just off center of one side of the field, probably just before the medallion I would imagine. This is NOT what would formally be considered a lavar kerman from my experience. This is what some refer to as an "American Kerman" - which were usually specifically tailored for American Markets post 1925, although not too many rugs were imported from Kerman between 30's to 1940 from my understanding. So, 1940 would be most probable, although earlier is possible. As for the value, there is aesthetic value in a piece like this. I have known very few Kerman rugs to have this high a knot count of the stated 360, in fact, some of the highest for this variety are usually found in the vicinity of 225 KPSI for this variety.

So, I ask for more photographs of KPSI for this piece
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 1, 2009 11:19:37 PM(UTC)

Here it is! Horrible shape, but an what an awesome, awesome looking rug. Something like this would need to be seen in person to really say. My guess is it's 120 years old, but could be older, and could be newer.

If I were to bid on this, set a top price you'd be willing to pay, and don't chase it if the rug goes over. While it could be a much older rug, the guy does sell rugs, he has it in front of him, and probably has talked to some people. My guess is he may know what it is. To me, it says Tabriz or Isfahan, leaning much more toward Isfahan because of the back of the carpet. The design has features and is the scale to which you would see much older rugs
KrowGyrl Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 6:37:29 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

You have to love the picth though from the guy's ad. "If you are a curator buying for a museum" ---- Not every hundred year old rug belongs in a museum, but it sounds good to the buyer with stars in their eyes. These chopped rugs, it's an odd and quirky call, unless it really is museum quality and these sellers aren't dealing in museum pieces. Yes, a buyer can find one and use it in a room where they know they have furniture to place. or if it is truly fabulous and unique, it's always got a place. But there are a lot of these things on the market because American homes generally don't have room for the palacial size and if they do they can afford a top dealer. The exception to that is the person decorating an old country home or barn conversion where the older and more trashed it is the better. I have a client now who wants to see one of my old trashed rugs. It's a beauty and I adore it. But her program, and all the other rugs she bought from me, (4) are in perfect condition and her home is large but slick and not at all shabby chic, so when I bring the rugs for her to see in place, she'll see what I mean. I love providing the educational and decorative input on these pieces as well. I believe that every good handmade rug has a home waiting for it. It's just a matter of finding the right home and the appropriate price.
btuma6 Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 8:43:02 AM(UTC)

Thanks, it is also interesting to note that he has other rugs of value that he has placed a starting bid. Therefore, I would assume that he doesn't put a high value on this rug. You notice I just asked age and not value since I wasn't thinking I found a lost treasure. I will be giving a moderate bid. Maybe the most interesting point will be what it sells for.

Since we are talking about antique rugs, I am attaching two pictures of a rug I did buy, and my interest is the origon. The rug was appraised, from what I was told, five years ago for $1,600 so I realize the value is minimal. The story is the rug is from a 95 year old grandmother's estate. The rug was in the family since 1910 and an aunt had it before that time.

I also include more pictures of the runner fragment. I must of been seeing double when counted 19 rows in an inch. The quarter shows 12-14. My main question was the value of a fragment such as this 20"er.

Thank again, I am learning alot from your comments.
File Attachment(s):
runnerend_edited-1.jpg (1,783kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
runnercount.jpg (1,767kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
boughtt.jpg
bought2.jpg
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 10:20:05 AM(UTC)

The Kerman Rug, now having an update on the knot density and closer view of the colors, kilim, etc. I feel more comfortable saying this is a rug from the 1950's. It does appear to be of the much higher grade Kermans which were produced during this time. Many of the lesser qualities would have less knot density, usually hovering in the area of 180 or so. This rug does have higher than that. In most rugs, this difference would be somewhat nominal, although in a Kerman it would make a significant difference. However, this does bring us to the actual value of the piece itself.

Although one of the characteristics of this rug is the higher knot count, the bottom line is in regards to value, anything which is paid would be in aesthetics, and aesthetics alone. There are some dealers who wouldn't mind having this rug for patch purposes, they would not be the ones to pay high dollar. The most value to this rug would be selling it as is, how it is, especially given that it seems to have a decent, newer selvage job. I am unsure how long this rug has been on the stairs for, however, it is important to note that rugs which have been on stairs for extended periods of time tend to wear very, very uneven. The rug seems to have pretty good pile, although I cannot say this for certain. As to the value, I would be upfront as you had mentioned before. In fact, if you state the rug is a "fragment" "remnant" or "reduced" rug, you may get some keyword hits on eBay which otherwise would not have come through. I don't think you're way off with the figure of $400, but it may take some time for the buyer to come around. If overall the rug is in great condition, and looks the same on the top as it does on the bottom (the images we saw) with no uneven wear, I think you could ask $600 negotiable. After all is said and done, you still have to bear in mind one of the most alluring things to Kermans back in the day were the Medallions, and this piece does not seem to have one. It sounds stupid, but even to have the surging done on the edges as this rug has can be an expensive proposition. Although the rug does have an off center pattern, there are people who do not mind this, and additionally, this may be a rug which some would find to be an excellent candidate for tea-washing, golden washing or other. A lot of information here, but again, part of this depends on what you paid, how you play your cards, and other. If this rug were in perfect condition and the "average" design which would be expected, some dealers would ask upwards of $80 per foot in NEW untouched condition just because of what it is and the vintage. If the colors were better, some would want up to $120 per foot in brand new condition, full, unrestored, untouched.

Actually, I think the best way to approach the sale of this rug would going at it from several directions. List it locally on CL and eBay with verification. See how it goes over the course of several months. It may get some interest, it may not at all. This also depends on your location. I am unsure of where exactly you're located, but if you're close to a city, you'll probably get some decent exposure on CL. At the same time, if you have an eBay account with a "store inventory," (I believe this is a $15 a month fee with no less than 10 feedback) try listing it in there for the standard 30 day period with an asking price of a little more and include a "best offer" option and see what kind of takers there are out there. It's not worth starting a store inventory for this rug specifically, but it you already have one, it's a good way to keep costs down because store inventory fee is nominal. The colors in this rug are not particularly popular right now, so if I were you I would be willing to settle for a less than the $400, but you never know what may come up or what kind of interest there may be. I would say private party, ideally this would be going for half that, but again, someone may find this to have high aesthetics. If all else fails, after several weeks of accumulating some hits, send it to "fixed price" with "best offer" for 7 days, get some watchers. If it doesn't sell or get any offers, after the item ends send it to no reserve a couple days later and be ready for whatever may happen. Bottom line, it all depends on how quick you want to sell it, and most often the case, the longer you hold out on something with aesthetic value, the closer to your asking price someone may get... Although this could have diminishing returns if you have to hold out too long with having one decent offer turned down....

The last rug I would be more than happy to respond with some insight, but would it be okay if you would create a new thread for it?
btuma6 Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 10:59:50 AM(UTC)

Thank you very much for all your insight. I paid $200 for it, and I live in Portland, OR. I would be satisfied to get my money out of it. It is aesthetically very nice, if, as always, you have the colors and space for this runner. The ebay seller had no verbage that would lead me to believe that it was a remnant. Even when I asked about it they didn't admit it, but only said "that is the way we got it in Iran and we don't know anything about it" This is after their ad claims their expertise in Persian rugs. I was relying on the amount of rugs they had sold and feedback rating.

I will post the other rug, and, again, I thank you for your insight.

KrowGyrl Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 3:36:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

I've bought a lot of rugs on eBay. A LOT. All the major sellers I deal with give pretty good pictures of all borders so you can see what's going on. Of someone doesn't show something, it's a red flag in my book. And if they just don't mention it's fragment, that is not a reputable seller. The ones I use even show closeup of bad spots, low spots, repair, any chopped edges.
RugPro Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 3:55:43 PM(UTC)

There is something really awesome about that Isfahan style carpet, even though it's not in the best of shape. If it had silk weft, I would say it's pretty darn old. I don't know exactly what it is, but someone is going to love it. I'm curious what it'll go for though.

Sellers should be more straightforward, but it's practically impossible for people to know unless they are already familiar with rugs or know of the forum and other resources. This area of the internet can be our secret in the rug world :) so don't tell anyone! I'm done purchasing rugs, space is cluttered and I have no interest in accumulating rugs that never get seen

btuma, I don't think you did bad with the Kerman. Again, if you play your cards right, you may be able to get a couple bucks more. I think it should be easily sold at the price you paid if the wear is even and the rug looks the same at the top as the area we saw toward the stair landing.