Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

metal thread prayer please help
milivoj Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:21:40 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

can anyone help me to estimate value and design of this hereke metal thread prayer rug.Dimensions;102X63 CM,10X10 knots per 1 cm sqer,signature of the hereke carpet weavers asoc.in the left coner,metal thread in the midle(candle)and what mean arabic words in 2 thread areas.
milivoj attached the following image(s):
DSCF0844.JPG
DSCF0847.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:45:14 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Is this for Private Sale or general interest in a replacement value?
milivoj Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:16:28 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

i want to sell this but before that ,i need to know details about him
KrowGyrl Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:45:06 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Your second picture, of the Arabic inscription closeup, is upside down. Also, the second border from the outside is also Arabic, a classic calligraphic script. Like a lot of these woven inscriptions it's too dense to read. But I will enlarge it and see if I can make sense of the two larger inscriptions.
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:52:42 PM(UTC)

I flipped it and enlarged it and can't make out the stylised forst characters from each phrase reading from right to left. It will definitely be religious, I doubt Qur'anic because I don't think anyone would place Quran'ic inscriptions to be placed on the floor and stepped on. The phrase running around the outside, no clue. I wonder if it's Urdu (Pakistan) or Farsi (Iran) because other than Egypt I don't know who in the Arab world is a big manufacturer of prayer rugs. It's a lovely rug though. And for the record, when you said "prayer rug" I was waiting to see if it was a real prayer rug or just a prayer rug size. A lot of people call the little two by threes "prayer rugs" but the true prayer rugs, like yours, have some sort of mihrab or niche as a guide to the direction the mat is to be placed, and the positioning of the forehead at a certain point in the prayer. A great little rug.
cloudband Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:22:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Interesting attribution KrowGyrl, and awesome rug milijov.

I don't have too much experience with this rugs so don't quote me on this:

In perfect condition for private sale would be almost certainly be over $180 a square foot.

How much more I would have to differ to others. Finding a buyer may take some time in current conditions
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
KrowGyrl Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:02:31 PM(UTC)

It might be hard to find a buyer, but there are collectors of prayer rugs and like any other collected, they're generally addicted to their collections and unless they're on the street, they're always looking and your piece is very attractive. I was in a bidding war some time back for a prayer rug, an old one, not a priceless heirloom or a Stradivarius of carpets, but a nice prayer rug. It was one of the fiercest wars I've been though and I lost! What could it hurt to throw ut up on eBay? eBay is generally glutted with rugs but not as may prayer rugs that aren't of the typical garden variety. I don't know as I don't know that much about Craigs List, are they more personal buyers for home use or do resellers and collectors and merchants buy there too very much? And you might mention Islam or cross list because there will be buyers who want the rug as a prayer rug and a lot of prayer items for actual prayer use are sold on ebay.