Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What terms would I use to find another rug like this one, besides 1950's Tabriz?
pickyeater Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:33:50 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello,
I bought a rug that I believe is a 1950's Tabriz.
I would like to get more rugs of the same style for my loft space, but I have not found anything.
I can find the boring red and navy medallion Tabriz everywhere, but nothing like this one.
Is this a particular style of Tabriz that I could use in a search or when talking with dealers?

What I like about this rug is the funky mixture of medallions, roses, red, peach, turquoise, black...
and the best thing is NO NAVY BLUE!!

It is a weird frivolous rug in a way, and a bit traditional in another way.
Brightens up my attitude every time I see it!
Since I need more rugs, I would like to find more of this type.

Thanks for your help and advice!
pickyeater attached the following image(s):
13x10_1950's Tabriz-cc.jpg
Corner of 1950's Tabriz.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:21:55 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

wow, I don't know how I missed this one, sorry bout that!

This design is fairly eclectic. Not only that, but some sellers have made it practically impossible to properly search rugs with actual attribution.

I would have to see the back of the rug with knots to really determine. The only suggestion I would be able to give in order to provide insight on keywords is the following: Finding a rug with no navy blue would be tough to isolate by genre, weave, etc. I would agree that Tabriz would be a good attribution generally for this piece, but it's very "age specific". However, you may also want to consider some kerman rugs etc. some of these rugs are horribly mislabled on online venues such as eBay and other, so keyword search becomes very difficult. Again, if this is a Tabriz rug, it's a very age specific Tabriz. It's very fun though, interesting use of colors with the field, border and medallion all having very independent yet clear color choice.

This one I thought was nice, but the seller really messes with keywords and the rug has undergone a heavy, heavy wash. Colors aren't as lively nor charismatic as the one you showed

The rug above he called "SUPER ANTIQUE PERSIAN SERAPI(KAZAK)TABRIZ(HERIZ)" but NOTHING about the rug is antique (except perhaps for the wash) certainly not a Serapi, no way is it a Kazak, no possibility of being a Heriz... These rugs are made near Tabriz I would imagine, and as you stated, similar designs can really be found between 1950 and even as recent as 80's and newer.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 1:52:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member