Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Unknown Rug
trefton Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:07:04 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I was given this rug from a family member who had it in storage fro about 3 years. It was rolled ant tied with cotton rope. I do not know if it is Persain or Oriental. It appears to be hand made after following your guidelines.
Could you please tell me what origin and the approximately value of this rug. The size is 9' x 12' we just unrolled it as we are planning to put in DR after renovations. The pile seams a little flat; I assume the cause is being rolled up for so long. Is there a way to raise the pile (fluff it up). The rug seems to be in excellent condition. From a novice point of view.[img][/img]
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0030.JPG (1,404kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
trefton attached the following image(s):
IMG_0032.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:24:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The rug is an "oriental" rug. this basically just means it's hand knotted. The design is most often called a "bokhara" with these newer rugs. The oval prints are more properly called "guls". In this type of rug, the shape has earned the nickname "elephant footprint" although this has no specific origin/history, rather an informal fact.

Probably it's no older than 10 years, but it could be just older. It's from Pakistan. Value on these fluctuates a lot. They're very commercial pieces made in higher volume for the most part. However, the good thing is it does not appear to be the double knotted Jaldars which tend to go for a little less money.

As for fluffing the pile, sometimes just a soft brush with your hand in the opposite direction of the pile will help. Just don't agitate and DO NOT use water when using this technique. Let us know if this helps at all. If the rug has been in storage for a while, it's a good idea to use a traditional "beater" vacuum (with a roller) to vacuum the back of the rug with the pile facing the floor, then sweep the area, and vacuum the front thoroughly as well.
trefton Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:29:43 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Thank you for your help! Is there any value to this rug. I also need to inquire as to a stain/ there is the remainder of a pet stain (feces) and has left a stain (small) is there a safe way to remove the stain/ it appears that someone attempted to clean it and if you look at the first picture of the files at the lower left you will see that it appears that the pile is raise or going a different direction in that one location. The stain is not really that noticeable buyt you can see a little brown on the threads.
Thanks for all your help!
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:01:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

you may want to try to use the stain removal guide: http://www.rugrag.com/StainRemoval.aspx Just be sure to work WITH the pile direction, and don't scrub back and forth.

The rug has value, if you're considering sale opt for craigslist. you'll probably get higher dollar take a look

http://www.rugrag.com/post/eBay-and-Craigslist-Selling-an-Oriental-Rug-or-Persian-Carpet.aspx

I would imagine $400 private party would be fair if the pet stain comes out and the rug is in very good condition. Try doing some research: it looks like a 9/16 bokhara, which is a decent starter for pakistani quality.
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 9:31:09 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Very true about the Craigslist RugPro. Don't bother on eBay as there are some very high volume sellers moving the Pakistani "Bokharas" (knockoffs really) at dirt cheap prices and they are moving a lot of them. The red and the blue one are common and the blue ones are more common recently. That's a big size though and I haven't seen any that big on eBay, but I haven't really scoped out those Pakistanis in a while. I bought a couple of runners early in the game just to see. They look good but are noticably of much lower quality and looser weave. One of mine almost has a "stuffed animal fur" feel to it. Needless to say, this will be a booth bargain when I get back to selling publically. The real Bokharas are wonderful, even when old and worn, in my aesthetic opinion.