Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Does the motif, color give any clue to age or area?
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:56:04 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I am going to look at a rug that might or might not be silk. It is approximately 2X3. Does the design or colors tell anything about the rug. The seller doesn't know anything about the rug, and I wanted to be somewhat equiped when I am talking
I know they aren't the needed pictures, but I am just looking for clues

Thanks,
Bart
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
boise2.JPG
boise3.JPG
boise.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:16:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

The kilim is a little long, this would hint to the idea of being a chinese made rug. However, the colors, design, and design execution, in addition to the slightly "thinner" pile all point to what seem to be Indian. Select Indian rugs (India Indian) were also made with longer kilims/skirts as well. However, there are many other "less attributed" rug producing countries which may have woven a similar rug.

The colors would lend to a mid-80's rug, perhaps slightly thereafter. The only thing that is difficult with deciding age by colors is some rugs which ended up at bazaars would be the "seconds" choice, not really suitable for Western market. It could even be slightly newer, although of course, and as always, additional photographs with good detail always help, especially of the back and the edges of the rug.

A lot of this is guesswork when we see this distant photographs of what would otherwise be key indicators regarding origin, age and other.
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:48:02 PM(UTC)

Much appreciated, of course, I was hoping you would say this is a 1800's work of art, just joking, that is why I asked.

Bart
btuma6 Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:52:53 PM(UTC)

Much appreciated, of course, I was hoping you would say this is a 1800's work of art, just joking, that is why I asked.

Bart
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 5:57:28 PM(UTC)

lol, well you never know.

good pics are really important. we work on a lot of assumptions when not-so-great-photographs are posted to the forum.

although I kinda doubt it, the rug could even be machine made :( so it's important to get solid images before planning to visit a piece.

KrowGyrl Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 4:32:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

so it's important to get solid images before planning to visit a piece. >>>>

And you never know with photography and light as they play on colors. A few weeks ago, I bought a worn old rug from an eBay dealer I have bought a lot from. The picture looked horrible, the color was overblown and there was reflections of light .... it was a mess. but I really liked the basics of the rug, and old elephant foot Bokhara with a green background. I wanted to see this rug. Because of the pictures, nobody big against me and I got it, well, real cheap. Now, I happen to know what the photography of this seller does to their pictures and their rugs always look 100% netter in life than in pictures so I took a chance. And I was right! It's wonderful and I love it and it's staying right here. It's worn and old and absolutely delightful. I only wish I had a castle or a huge old wooden house or a monestery to showcase it properly. And the green, is like fresh olives with dust on them, or as seen in a fading sunlight. I love being right.:d/

ufuk Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:45:31 AM(UTC)

Just to put my two cents in, Providing that it is Not machine made, It could be North African; Moroccan or possibly Egyptian. Nice colours though.
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:10:51 AM(UTC)

That's a good point. what age would you place on it?
btuma6 Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:57:17 AM(UTC)

Unfortunately, the above post was correct. "if it is not machine made" and it was machine made. Therefore, your point of having good pictures before you waste you time driving to see a rug is also correct.

Bart