Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rug pads
svseller Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 6:32:17 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

We're trying to understand what's needed when buying rug pads.

I've done a little research, and it seems that there are varying costs and thicknesses.

This company: http://rugpads.com/cms/

Seems to make some thick rubber ones that are expensive, and cheaper ones.

Is there any article here on rug pads, and what's worth paying for? We live in a multi-unit flat in San Francisco, so if thicker helps with killing noise, that would be great.

Do more expensive pads help the rugs last longer?
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Mipsy Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:01:41 PM(UTC)
Groups: Dealers, Member

Hi svseller...I'm sure one of the experts will chime in before long, but this is what Rug Rag has to say about pads in the meantime:

http://www.rugrag.com/post/Rug-Pads.aspx

In general, yes thicker will definitely help with noise, and yes a good pad will help the rugs last longer. I don't know the specifics about the pads you found at rugpads.com, but maybe some of the other guys know? ...
cloudband Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 10:46:29 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

right. this is a good point to have brought up sv. when you buy rug pads, generally the thicker you purchase, the more it will insulate and both reduce noisel. Be sure your doors will still have clearance tho because that added cushioning also brings height with it....

There are some pads out there which can be quite an investment. Customers used to be shocked as in some cases, the padding options which were available were almost as much of an investment as the rugs they purchased. In my opinion, for most average and better Oriental Rugs, a pad is completely worth it - one of the more expensive and better ones are called durahold, it's purple/blue with a hexagon non-skid print. perhaps the greatest aspect of this padding is both the peaks and valley texture which goes to the back of the rug, and allows for dirt and grit to fall away from the rug rather than serve as an abrasive touching it. Another good characteristic of this padding is the superior quality rubber which is melted onto the reverse of the padding itself. This rubber is higher quality than most, and from my understanding, carries a ten year warranty which should be covered by the manufacturer. Dura hold is also great for killing noise. expect something in the $2-2.5 per square foot range.

To answer your last question, expensive pads will help your carpet out in ways which most people would not expect. If your carpet is of fairly low quality, you really don't need a high quality padding. However, if the rug is something worth the couple extra bucks, a better quality pad should bring the rug up off the floor just a little bit to protect it from dirt and grit, as well as help keep it in place and protect the longevity. The point of a rug pad should serve dual purpose, cushion the beating a rug takes from everyday traffic, but most importantly, keep the rug in place. An Oriental Rug is not intended to be moved around much. Constant shifting and moving around under furnature and skidding on the floor can only present a danger to those slipping on your rug in home, and also additional unnecessary wear and tear on the rug itself.

I don't have experience with the type of padding on this site sv mentioned, but it's great you're doing the research. Again, DuraHold is the best padding I've encountered for a while now.

David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2008 8:30:46 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Usually the best and cheapest way to get pad is through the same people you get the rug from.

Online shopping for padding can be difficult because a lot of these companies privatize the labels so shopping by brand is tough unless you're familiar with the pictures, which sometimes are different than the product you receive.

Also, online pads come in standard sizes not cut to your specific rug, but a general size. This is particularly a pain if you have a slightly wider rug like a 8'5"x 10 for example. The pad will be for an 8x10, and significantly shorter in width than what is normally called for. You'd really have to order a 9x12 and cut it down yourself. Pads are tough to cut because they're really thick. Unless you don't mind doing the cutting, you still end up not saving too much not to mention the shipping. We always offer a discount to our customers in store, often offering pad complimentary.

This one sv linked to is good. But when you look at it close, it lacks the textured rubber side that other pads feature. I had this pad under one of our 8x10s in store, and its okay but also seemed to dry out quicker than the other pads we have. I agree with the suggested Dura Hold. It's been great for us, and customers have never complained other than the price... but its a great quality underlining and thick.

Below is an image of durahold taken from the main site
RugPro attached the following image(s):
padding.jpg