Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

good deal?
aeander Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:09:31 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi! I am searching for a used (hand?)-knotted oriental rug. My main concern is that the rug be pretty, last a long time, and not pill; I'm not too worried about whether it's "authentic" or has outstanding craftsmanship, etc. I have had bad experiences with "hand-tufted" rugs and so would like to upgrade to knotted.
I saw this rug on Craig's List. The pics may not be detailed enough to determine the rug's quality. What do you think?
Thanks!!
http://chicago.craigslis...g/nch/fuo/912974793.html
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:58:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear you're moving up from hand tuft. Just a quick glance, it may be hand knotted, it could even have some sort of special wash. If you request additional photographs of the back of the rug, possibly the corner with fringe, and other we'll have a better idea. If I had to guess, this looks Indian, but should be able to give you a lot more info when pics come through. I don't know if I'll be able to tell you if it's good quality, but can certainly give you some tips on what to look for if it looks like something interesting to check out in person.

aeander Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:03:57 AM(UTC)

Hi! Thanks so much for the reply. This is a great service you guys are offering! So, I already have an appointment to go out and look at the rug later today (with Craig's List, you have to act fast). Can you give me some tips for what to look for? I know, for example, that with handmade rugs, the pattern will go all the way through and be bright on the underside, and that the fringe should not be tacked on. But if it IS a machine-made knotted rug... I know that that means it has no artistic value, but is it bad from a quality/durability point of view? Thanks again for the help!!
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:19:39 AM(UTC)

These are some good posts to read.

This one is regarding the value of a used machine made rug

http://www.rugrag.com/post/Is-it-an-Authentic-Rug.aspx

Generally, you're going to want to look for the following:

If it is hand knotted, look for an even sheen and color tone if it's been herbal washed.

Make sure there is no dry rot, color run, worn areas, rips, tears, slits, STAINS. Stains are usually bad, it's not uncommon to find them iun the fringe, no big deal... but if there are bad stains in the field, that's not good.

Make sure the pile is sharp, with no blooming of the wool. take a look here about 3/4 down the page, look at new vs. used.

If there is a pet, smoking or other, this also is going to affect value, as would the need for a cleaning.

Be sure to take good photographs so we can see them. Craigslist has a lot of decent stuff, but also a lot of these sellers who buy off ebay. I don't think that's a bad thing across the board, but some people who ask 15x what they paid is bad news. Especially when it's not worth half that as a replacement cost. I think this may be a department store rug, but I have no idea until seeing better pics.

Take a look at these pics so you know what we need
http://www.rugrag.com/Authentic-Oriental-Rug-Verification.aspx?Seller=111111&InventoryNumber=1

the quarter on the back may help us further identify. Use the flower button on the camera to get those close ups.

we're here for you, so just fire away with the pics when ready!

aeander Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:36:43 AM(UTC)

Very helpful! I will send you better pics later this evening.
aeander Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 4:38:01 AM(UTC)

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I saw the rug and it was definitely machine-made. The pictures made it look a lot better than it was! Thanks again so much for your help. I am still on the lookout for a new rug so I may be back in touch.
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:41:27 AM(UTC)

Good to hear you could ID it as a machine made. we're here for other ones!