Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

...now this is a great listing... "who walked on this rug..."
mosaic08 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:07:28 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

...it looks pretty beat up, but is it the real thing and what is it worth....i'm going to guess a Meshad...

http://charlotte.craigsl....org/for/896501578.html

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 10:18:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

not a bad guess... here's what I'm thinking, but nothing is certain until seeing more photos of the back

Almost everything about this rug says Kerman. Looking at the corner shot, the way the rug has worn, and overall attributes point to a kerman from just around 1915-1925. the border corners show similar wear pattern to that vintage (or slightly earlier) and the border design is very well reconciled. The floral sprays in each corner of the allover field also are directed toward the center of the carpet. typical Kerman execution

Palmettes were used often in this vintage, as seen in the border and field... All that on top of the cochineal color red... fairly certain this is true cochineal, or natural, insect dye. Very typical of the "cream of the crop" kermans of this era several decades after synthetics worked their way into the market. however, the other colors are probably not natural.

I would actually ask for additional photographs of the worn areas. this carpet may be one of the better ones worth investigating more. It seems like a somewhat unusual example given it has the physical features and construction appearance (going by the corner with fringe) of a 1905-1915 kerman with 1920's design. Either this rug was very much ahead of the market, or it truly is one of the better rugs produced in or around 1920. really interesting example, but I'd be curious to see what others have to say.

even if it's in decent condition, so long as the wear is pretty even, this could be a good buy.

I really, really want to see photographs of the back of this.
Perhaps just to satiate my own curiosity... this is a really intriguing rug not necessarily for value, but the implications I see in the photographs.
mosaic08 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:10:31 AM(UTC)

well, here are the original pictures at a better quality...i'm still trying to get a back photo...
mosaic08 attached the following image(s):
Hermans Rug 3 Corner Full.jpg
Hermans Rug 4 Full.jpg
Hermans Rug backing 1 rolled.jpg
Hermans Rug backing 2 Unrolled.jpg
Hermans Rug 1 Center Detail.jpg
Hermans Rug 2 Corner Detail.jpg
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:13:12 AM(UTC)

the orange and the blue throw me off a litle. I still stick to what I said. The only thing that would help are pics of the back
mosaic08 Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:54:32 AM(UTC)

okay, i got a couple...what do you think? it does not appear to be a high KPSI, but i'm no expert...
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:08:08 AM(UTC)

scratch everything on Kerman. This is why it's so important to see all photographs first. I'm more than happy to help out any way possible mosaic, but it really helps to get those pics up first thing

almost 100% certainty this is Sarouk: the blue, the knots, the center design... I thought there was a hint of this in the other photo because of the blue. Sarouks also have this well reconciled border too

Does look like there's decent wear, a patch in the middle of the rug... but almost certain it's a sarouk. May not be a bad buy if there are no threadbare areas dry rot or other problems. The only thing is it's going to need a very good wash it seems. This background color is much, much different in the added pics pics. I would say still around 1920's-late 30's.
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:09:36 AM(UTC)

try to find out what's on the wash tag, we may be able to find out more info
mosaic08 Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:16:54 AM(UTC)

thanks... and i'm sorry if i've added work to the process, it was certainly not my intention. it's just when people post w/ craigslist it's usually just the four pics, if any, and then it's pretty much pulling teath to get anything else....plus you're sometimes dealing w/ people that have no idea how to work a digital camera, let alone post the picture on the web... so again, sorry...i was just posting the photos as i received them...

...i'll inquire about the wash tag...and thanks again!
mosaic08 Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:26:14 PM(UTC)

...i just received word that they cannot make-out anything on the tag... thanks!
RugPro Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:26:34 AM(UTC)

if it has no threadbare areas, dry rot, repairs, or serious moth damage, the price looks decent. are you going to go for it?
mosaic08 Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:21:43 AM(UTC)

...not sure, it does look a little beat up...i think i might keep searching...

also, as i had mentioned about that google book search, well, attached is an advertisement form 1918...i like to research historic architecture/constructions, blah, blah and this was taken from "House and Garden"....enjoy
mosaic08 attached the following image(s):
Whittal-Rug-Advertisement-1918-House-Garden.jpg
RugPro Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 6:16:07 AM(UTC)

so interesting. such an empty look on the lady's face!