Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

...are these rugs...
mosaic08 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:21:36 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

...worth inquiring further about...i'm interested in the rug which appears to be a sarouk? please let me know...

...from the seller:
2 runners 10'x 38" $400 ea
1 area rug 18'x 11' $1500 (kerman?)
1 area rug 12'x 10' $900

Will sell all for $3,000, In good condition, kept in church storage. Some vintage."
mosaic08 attached the following image(s):
P1010002_3.jpg
P1010004_3.jpg
P1010006_2.jpg
P1010008_3.jpg
P1010010_4.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:59:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I know you're interested in the sarouk, but the top kerman looks a bit bright pink..

the one second from bottom is interesting too. the bottom almost looks like a kadjara.

The sarouk is probably not too old. My guess would be 50 years, but this is one photo from a distance. not great to drop a real educated guess. It's interesting because it has some cypress trees in the design. The reason I mention about the age is the distinct gold, which is almost on the verge of a lime green. The way the end finishes is obviously tough to see, but still points to this newer variety.

I think this "sarouk" may be worth asking for additional photographs or seeing in person if not too far away. just make sure it's not machine made

not making a religious statement here, but I do want to mention because the amount of people involved with a church or organization, there is a reasonable chance they would have insight as to the value for selling. I still think this sarouk may be interesting to explore a little if it's not machined, maybe even a closer look at the runners for condition
KrowGyrl Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:51:53 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

I know you're interested in the sarouk, but the top kerman looks a bit bright pink..>>>

That was my reaction when I looked at this earlier today. Strange color. And what are the two dark blotchy areas on the left side. I wouldn't buy that one sight-unseen for any price.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:00:39 PM(UTC)

unbelievably bright. I've seen a lot of Kermans in my day, but this is perhaps the most unusual color I've ever seen. Its so funny to me because this is the perfect example of a rug that someone would absolutely love to have, but it would never have the exposure for that someone to see.

krow, you've got a point about the blotches. This vintage of kerman is notorious for having a deep, thick pile. How this translates often shows a lot of dark and light areas in the rug, especially these kind. The reason for this is due to the fact that the pile direction is almost 100% lost to the thickness. however as you mention those dark spots are pretty deep, and it is interesting to note they're also very close to the vicinity of the door.

I also am not convinced the sarouk is what would be properly identified as a true sarouk, from sarouk. but I do think it may be worth the look. this rug actually does have some similarities to my eye to the colors and fringe of ardekan rugs, I really don't think it's that old, or of great quality, but the design is so awesome. A lot of true antique rugs with cypress trees were unidirectional, seeing this sarouk it's interesting that this older design had been turned into a half map, which mainly is to satisfy the american market.
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:39:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

this is the perfect example of a rug that someone would absolutely love to have, but it would never have the exposure for that someone to see.>>>>>

Her name is Ivana Trump. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Whistle
mosaic08 Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:49:01 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

yea, it's pretty (in) pink, but kind of cool in a certain way...

...i'm trying to get more info the sarouk?...i'll let you know...

...also, how 'bout this one...
http://boston.craigslist.../gbs/hsh/896888443.html

RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:40:25 PM(UTC)

it's nice, but these pics arent good at all. you should tell them to have it verified. it's one thing for a private party to make a claim, it's another to have proper photos.

Jozan sarouks are nice, I don't actually think this is one. they're like a coarser feraghan, usually 30-40% lower knot count, and slightly less curvilinear. if it gets color balanced in photoshop, going by other objects in the room, the colors just don't look it, and the medallion is a little off and too squarish. Although it could be a newer one, they'd have to send pics of the reverse side.