Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Bidjar or not
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:10:41 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

http://roseburg.craigslist.org/hsh/855602710.html

The seller doesn't actually make the claim that it is a Bidjar. He doesn't know anything about rugs and remembers someone saying Bidjar, but he also didn't know if it was from Pakistan. He made the comment of how thick it was so if that is true it would seem to be the "steel rug". He thought there was a 100 kpsi.

How do you tell a Bidjar from the Kurds and a copy from another country. I realize the density of the wrong is never copies, but how do I tell from the discription so as to not take a needless trip.

Bart
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:01:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hey Bart,

have him send detailed photographs of the corner of the rug, and the back of the carpet including fringe and edging. This one should be an easy rug to tell by good images. Placing a quarter on the reverse side and taking a photograph will help us out
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:27:47 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Thanks, I will do that as I now have the rug. The rug had 10X10 knots or 100KPSI and the pile was not extremely tight so I assume it isIndo-Bidjar. It is in new condition and a beautiful rug with the popular motifs. He had the rug rolled up in a spare bedroom for the past years and his wife was tired of it. He statement was "I just want to get rid of it" He had it on Craiglist for $600 for a month, and again living in a rural Oregon town had no one call.

I took it home for $300, and it looks great, more than great in my home. I was surprised he let it go for this price as he in the midst of starting a auction house, but starting might be the key word. It defineately is wool and hand knotted. I had someone else look at it so I know I didn't get took. I guess for $300 it could have been a machine made Walmart rug, but fortuneately, it is not.

So I take it the only way is to diferentiate a indo-bijar from a bijar is how dense the pile is and probably finer than 100. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Bart