Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Can we talk about travelling salesmen?
Huseyin Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:33:38 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

If any of you have read my recent post on my blog about dishonest salesmen (more specifically the traveling ones), you will know what I am talking about. These are guys have ruined the name of carpet salesman across the United States. My former colleagues in Istanbul even say that now when customers from the U.S. buy something, some ask to send the carpet themselves in order to avoid having to give out their address to the store. Because once they are associated to a carpet store and an address, that means anyone willing to travel to their home to sell them a carpet may give them a call down the line.

The reason that this is so dear to me is that I am in this business. I do not own a store, but instead bring carpets to homes. This gives me a certain advantage, which is that I can bring whatever carpets are desired by the customer - I am not limited by my "selection" because I can get any carpet that I want. However, the draw-back here is that there are many customers out there who no longer trust salesmen like myself because they have had run-ins with those I mentioned in my blog. It is something I have to deal with, but that I wish would be somehow overcome. But I just don't see how better business practices can be imposed on salesmen who have nothing to lose.

Any ideas?

Best,
Huseyin
www.carpetondemand.com
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

cloudband Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:19:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Huseyin,

This is a very interesting topic
. It’s quite apparent within the industry there has been a significant amount of turbulence created by these fly by night gypsy sellers, GOB's and other less reputable sellers.

The point you make about “But I just don't see how better business practices can be imposed on salesmen who have nothing to lose.” is absolutely true. Traditionally speaking, those of whom are involved in the rug business may practice either conventional (showroom store) and unconventional (Going out of business, door to door salesman) ways.

Nowadays, sales techniques and tactics are changing, with a more closer eye for the needs of consumers. This is where the grey area comes into play. This type of catering to the customers needs, such as your service, from my experience has never fully been fleshed out. I think it’s an awesome idea of bringing rugs in home, and completely understand the challenges of both starting something new, and dealing with stigmas left behind by decades of consumer abuse on behalf of dishonest and obtrusive sellers. As noted in your blog, these examples of Turkish sellers approaching buyers in home: This is nothing less than disconcerting to know this confidential information held by international sellers regarding addresses of customers which may be distributed in the future.

The only suggestions I may have for you would be the following.

First, continue to explore the negative aspects of these previously mentioned tactics by other sellers. These people make the rug business a true buyer beware marketplace, and they need to be called out on it.

Secondly, word of mouth is a businessman’s best friend, its slow to roll, but heavy and steady when all comes around. Ask customers if they mind you posting photographs of their rugs in home, post them online, invite them to comment, maybe even offer a informational seminar at a local library with collection quality Oriental Rugs. Invite people to bring their own carpets too. It takes time, but it’s a great way to get your name out there as being both an authority, and reliable.

Thirdly, it while somewhat difficult to implement, I would encourage horizontal growth. I'm sure you've considered it, but customers like to have follow ups – whether they need rug cleaning, repair or other. If you have established relationships with local washing plants it would be great to have this possibility. These are all low profit margin suggestions, however will help encourage ongoing relationships, especially if you're already in home, you can offer to bring rugs back for cleaning, etc. If you sell a rug to someone, they want to know who and where to go when maintenance is needed - and it's only that much easier to have a large carpet for cleaning picked up. I'll get into it in a minute, but you can even offer an appraisal for someone when you go to their home.

Finally, differentiate yourself: These sellers in the past who have had poor reputations, I promise you in most cases they will not have been members of any trustworthy organizations. A good one is ORRA. If I were in your position, if I had not already done so, I would also get a certificate for being a Certified Rug Appraiser. All small things, and they seem to be petty, but again, it’s the only way to have a brick and mortar foundation without actually having the showroom.

Excellent blog by the way.
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
Huseyin Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:06:21 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Those are really great suggestions. Thank you for taking time to make these points. Until recently, I have only had to worry about getting customers into a store, now I have to convince them to let me into their homes. It is a new challenge that I will face taking into consideration these suggestions.

Best,
Huseyin
www.carpetondemand.com
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:04:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

gee how are you supposed to make people comfortable with that - it's gotta be tough. On one hand you don't want them to feel like you're imposing, but on the other hand you're moving all their furniture around. Do you have people sign a release form for if anything gets damaged?

We've also seen businesses having a demand as well. I'd imagine this to be the best route for your angle. A little like a date maybe? Go to a somewhat public place - such as dinner. If you're getting along, you go somewhere a little more intimate like the movies. If you start at their place of business, it's less formal. Once they like you, word gets out like cloudband says, then they ask you to decorate their house with finer rugs.

Every so often we get architects or lawyers looking for something in their office. There's nothing that says success and pride like an persian rug in your office. It makes people feel more important, as the case should be.