Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Info & opinion on this rug - Isfahan/Gonbadi style?
charliekeet Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:44:13 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,

This rug is being sold for $350 - it's an 8x10.

Small pictures- but any way to tell if it is actually a Persian rug, or does this design indicate something else to you?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/fuo/836866688.html

I love the drawing here, and I have only tribal rugs so I was looking for something like this, but I would appreciate tips on how to tell where it was made/level of quality other than just looking at knot count. To put it another way- if it's made in China, but still has a high KPSI and looks pretty- is it still worth it?

Thanks!
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:18:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Thanks for swinging by the forum,

you never know with these things if they're a good deal until you see really good pics. The story may be true, but then again that could be a "before washing" photograph and the colors could since have bled or faded.

Certainly is what would be considered in the realm of a Persian Design... If it is hand knotted as the "Oriental" implies, my best guess would be this is a Chinese. The reason I say this is it has the general look of a lot of these chinese rugs. Even if it is, and the rug is in very good condition, this could be an excellent deal. The only curious thing is that there's only one photo where the rug has rich vibrant colors.

Just watch out if this person wants to sell in a sketchy place. My best suggestion for craigslist users is to ask for the Drivers ID from the seller, and to have them sign a contract if you purchase the rug stating they are the rightful owner to the rug. Have everything in writing and cover your behind from scams.

if everything checks out and the rug doesn't smell or have any major defects, I would go for this piece.
charliekeet Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 4:42:08 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi RugPro - thanks for the response. The sense I get after an initial e-mail exchange is that this is a private seller rather than a dealer , so the "oriental" here may just be a generic term.
Do you think it looks Chinese because it looks too sort of "plush"? Or because the design is not quite right for a Persian or Indo homage?
I agree the photos are odd in that the detail shots give a different sense of what it looks like than the main one. I think I'll ask for info from the receipt since the seller still has it. Maybe there are details on it from the dealer that will help me more than the seller before I go look at it.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 3:19:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

no prob,

I thought it looked chinese because a combination of the design and the fringe area. Although, this is practically impossible to really say unless the photographs were of very close-up shots of the fringe, edging, knots etc. It could even be a machine made

it doesn't appear to be listed anymore? be sure to keep us posted for future rugs, the more pics the better we can help out! Rug Rag also provides the verification service. Just ask the seller to have the rug verified through them

1800getarug has some verifications: If you want to take a look at one, scroll down and click through the part that says "authentic hand knotted" on the Rug Rag badge. You'll see the full report of the rug.

thanks for bringing this one to the forum!

Drool