Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Semi-antique (or antique?) rug -- identification help needed
dstern Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 2:42:20 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,

We have a 50" x 80" rug originally purchased by my wife's grandmother at auction, about 1940. We don't know more about its age than that, and nothing about its provenance. The pile is in excellent shape and shows now uneven wear. But the selvage is worn on both sides. On one end there is a bit of fringe left, but on the other end the fringe is gone and the rug is worn into the body of the rug itself. I've tried to capture all of this in the pictures.

I'd love to know where the rug was woven, approximately how old it is, and whether it can or should be repaired.

Thanks for any information or advice you can provide.

David

P.S. If this posts without photos, I apologize, but I'm having trouble. When I click on the "attach files to this post?" box nothing happens to allow me to attach the photos. Your help in resolving this would of course be appreciated.
File Attachment(s):
DSC_5818.JPG (14,195kb) downloaded 200 time(s).
DSC_5819.JPG (15,376kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
DSC_5820.JPG (15,415kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
DSC_5821.JPG (15,399kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
DSC_5822.JPG (15,384kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
DSC_5823.JPG (15,264kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
DSC_5824.JPG (15,898kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
DSC_5825.JPG (15,632kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

cartona Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:07:34 PM(UTC)

Hi, Welcome to the forum.it is a great place to get advice and education from from all expert members who are really good guys. I have learned a lot from this forum and hope to help you learn too.
I think your rug is a Sarouk (Mille fleur ...thousand of flowers) from the Arak region ( north central west) Iran. The design and age, blue wefts, knot count (144), wool quality says it's Sarouk. The age you give of 1940 seems right...it is not painted as painting stopped about 1950. So, you have a very nice Sarouk which still carries some of the older 20's and 30's design and skill, but slightly later. From what I can see repairs are minor. Please have the ends secured and repairs made to the sides (selvege) It a keeper... nice smaller size too.

dstern Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:40:16 PM(UTC)

cartona wrote:
Hi, Welcome to the forum.it is a great place to get advice and education from from all expert members who are really good guys. I have learned a lot from this forum and hope to help you learn too.
I think your rug is a Sarouk (Mille fleur ...thousand of flowers) from the Arak region ( north central west) Iran. The design and age, blue wefts, knot count (144), wool quality says it's Sarouk. The age you give of 1940 seems right...it is not painted as painting stopped about 1950. So, you have a very nice Sarouk which still carries some of the older 20's and 30's design and skill, but slightly later. From what I can see repairs are minor. Please have the ends secured and repairs made to the sides (selvege) It a keeper... nice smaller size too.

Thanks, Cartona. We do plan to keep the rug. I suspect that the repairs needed will be more than minor, as the selvage on both sides needs to be restores and the fringe restored. It has sentimental value, but can you give any sense of how much would be too much to spend given the rug's value?
cartona Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:07:58 PM(UTC)

You don't need to have the fringe restored. I never have false fringes added to a rug...it distracts from the the value and I always remove them. The original fringes are the warps that extend from the rug's foundation. So, false fringes are not true to the rug.

Just have them tied off, secured so that no additional knots roll off. This is not an expensive reoair. Rebinding the selvege is also not expensive. I did not see the very worn area you spoke of. Which pic shows the wear? ?
dstern Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:21:49 PM(UTC)

cartona wrote:
You don't need to have the fringe restored. I never have false fringes added to a rug...it distracts from the the value and I always remove them. The original fringes are the warps that extend from the rug's foundation. So, false fringes are not true to the rug.

Just have them tied off, secured so that no additional knots roll off. This is not an expensive reoair. Rebinding the selvege is also not expensive. I did not see the very worn area you spoke of. Which pic shows the wear? ?

I've attached a couple of additional pictures that show the damage to the selvage. Thanks for your help and advice.
File Attachment(s):
DSC_5835.JPG (14,811kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
DSC_5836.JPG (14,654kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
cartona Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 10:38:02 PM(UTC)

Ok. I see the worn area in the selvage. First, what makes a rug wear out besides constant wear is dirt in the pile. Quite often the dirt in the pile gets into the knot nodes and move out to the outer edges of the rug. This dirt acts as sand paper rubbing the wool pile until it begins to sand it off. This causes worn areas which can show up in the outer edges first. This causes these areas to wear out faster. You need to get the rug cleaned to get the dirt out and prevent more wear. A repair should be done before the rug is cleaned to prevent the wool blooming and losing more knots in the damaged area. So, yes...the rug is valuable enough to warrant these repairs.
KAD Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 4:29:54 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Nice rug, Sarouk area, possible Jozan as well - can't exactly tell from the images. Selvedge should be restored - no big deal.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/