Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

what happens in a quarter century
RugPro Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:13:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

netjim Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:32:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

It's heartbreaking to see the changes....assuming it is the same rug. Sick
KrowGyrl Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:23:36 PM(UTC)

It's heartbreaking to see the changes....assuming it is the same rug.>>>>

Even aside from the color changes, that does not look like the exact same rug. I know the details are identical, but I have spent time with a couple of masters of decorative arts and had them making me observe an almost invisible difference in exact copies. It doesn't "feel" like the same rug either. And I am not talking about the color. It's weird ... it reeks of a copy, I don't care who's backing it. The color changes almost seem like a ploy so you don't notice it's not quite the same. I have a wool prayer rug I bought in 1969 for $100 and it still looks like the day I bought it. Something doesn't feel right about that. But then there are things hanging on the walls of the Met that have been there fore decades and they have just recently come to find out are fakes. But they're staying put anyway.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:43:51 PM(UTC)

KrowGyrl wrote:
The color changes almost seem like a ploy so you don't notice it's not quite the same.

YES! this is the "fingerprint" analysis of rugs!

I absolutely think this is the same rug. This carpet had some sort of devastating accident. water for sure, especially with the color run present. The only thing that's going against this is the inside purple color and the border color are the same on the faded rug, but they're different shades on the rich colored rug. The rug is the same size, and same design. My father had a rug just like this. It was a mohtesham kashan silk. The rugs colors were just like the faded one, but when you looked at the back, you could see the colors were true and original. This does happen to these rugs, especially this type of kashan.

Other than design, take a look at the right hand side of each rug, both bow inward on the right hand side.

Take a look at the very, very top right corner of the fringe's kilim. both show similar "scrunching"
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:14:02 PM(UTC)

Okay, I see the subtle bowing in. I don't see the scrunching fringe because it looks like the photo is cropped on the fringe at top and bottom.
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:17:07 PM(UTC)

it's a little wavy in the same area like there's hard tension in the kilim. It's possible with a silk rug like this, if it had been exposed to water, it would soften, but I cant get a good enough pic of it.

Also see the two lower right hand corners have the same curve upwards, and the lower left corners also both roll back a little.
KrowGyrl Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:33:38 AM(UTC)

Also see the two lower right hand corners have the same curve upwards, and the lower left corners also both roll back a little. >>>>

Gotcha. I guess I got too distracted with comparing the design ..... sloppy, sloppy.Anxious