Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Need Help Answering Rug Pro Estimator for my Isfahan “Seirafian” Rug
jellybean's_mom Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 12:13:07 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Please help me with some questions regarding my Isfahan “Seirafian” rug, 5’0” x 6’5”, excluding fringe. It has 466 KPSI based on 3 samples. I plan to sell this rug.
Age? I included it in the (21-49 years) category. I purchased it over 10 years ago and it was not new.
Qurk ??? wool with Silk Highlights on Silk Foundation
Hand spun?
Since I‘m not sure about the pile, I answered “wool with silk highlights on silk foundation” and “No/Don’t know” for hand spun.
Tea Wash? The Canadian appraiser did not indicate the rug had been washed; however, the possibility that it might have was recently raised based on photos only. What do you think? Since I don’t know if the rug was tea washed, I answered “No/Don’t Know”. I have no clue… would appreciate hearing your opinions.
The following link reflects what I’ve answered on the PRO Estimator:
http://www.RugRag.com/Ap...-4A43-9A53-0DDEB04E668E
jellybean's_mom attached the following image(s):
1-P1010445.w.jpg
2-P1010451.w.jpg
3-P1010453.w.jpg
4-P1010457.w.jpg
5-P1010449.w.jpg
6-P1010450.w.jpg
7-P1010458.w.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Sharafi & Co Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 9:41:18 AM(UTC)

It is a very good rug. The first photo that I saw I thought wow this maybe a real Seirafian. The close up made doubts grow in my mind. But anyway that was not your question. Kork wool. I think 21-49 category is appropriate. Not handspun. It would be a tragedy if this was tea washed. I am almost sure it is not. I think it is the colour of the fringes that may make people think it is tea washed.
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
1 user thanked Sharafi & Co for this useful post.
jellybean's_mom on 6/27/2015(UTC)
tracytracy222 Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 4:32:08 PM(UTC)

Hey Sharafi,

How do you actually tell whether or not wool is hand-spun or not?

Btw jellybean, did the Canadian appraiser tell you its a genuine seirafian?
jellybean's_mom Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 6:51:09 PM(UTC)

Thank you for your comments, Sharafi and tracytracy222. I've also wondered about how one determines whether wool is handspun or not. I'm still confused after reading the reference provided by the Pro Estimator under this topic.
But, now for ‘the can of worms’… I purchased the carpet in 2004 from a reputable carpet seller with the understanding that it was a genuine Seirafian. I had it appraised in Canada in 2007 which confirmed this fact. I was aware by then that there are "fake" Seirafians and was relieved to learn that the appraiser deemed mine to be authentic. In 2013, when I started to think about selling my carpets, I contacted the carpet seller and he reconfirmed its authenticity. Now that being said, I’m very grateful for this discussion. It’s important for me to take due diligence so that I am confident in what I am selling. So, where do we go from here?
Sharafi & Co Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:33:45 PM(UTC)

Ok let's the with the genuine Seirafian point. I never said it was not a Seirafian, as I think to be able to confirm this you really need to see it close up, especially if it is a good fake. I believe I did mention why I have my reservations and that stems from seeing a number of older Seirafians during my time. In this business it is nerd good to read books and gain knowledge through reading. In fact I think it is a must if you are serious about this subject. However, just as important if not more is the knowledge and experience that you gain through seeing, touching and feeling these products.

To weave with such dense knotting they would have had to handspun the wool very very tightly. About a hindered years ago they used to do this by growing one finger nail, make a very thin hole in it and guide the wool through it and spin it. Now a days the only way to spin a wool so thin is by machine. Additionally if you look at a handspun wool it is not very uniform. so you would be able to see slight variation in knots from the back. Also the look from the face of the rug is different. Look at a 100 year old Tabriz and a 20 year old tabriz be t to each other. A 40 raj Tabriz with handspun wool from the back would look almost as fine as a 55 raj Tabriz.

I hope the above helps
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
1 user thanked Sharafi & Co for this useful post.
KAD Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:17:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Persian Isfahan, but far away from Seirafian. Seirafian never made this lcommercial grade rugs. Also the signatures is defenelty added after the rug was already finished. Also not handspun wool. As far as I know Seirafian used machine spun wool for at least the last 40 years of his production. Your rug is not older than 1995.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

1 user thanked KAD for this useful post.