Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Terrible Old Wrinkles
Zerk Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:46:31 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi all,

Please see the attached photo below.

I have some terrible old wrinkles in an area of carpet where a rolling chair has been used in some 40 year old carpet that I need to flatten out somehow.

This carpet was glued down to sound board (particle board) when it was installed 40 years ago, but it is obviously able to be pulled up to an extent.

I'm willing to cut this awful, old, hard, indoor/outdoor carpet in order to flatten it out because I'm going to put an area rug over it, but I can't figure out where best to cut it, if needed, in order to then flatten out the wrinkles.

The only info I can find online is for normal carpet, and it tells me to rent a carpet installer tool or to hire someone, and that doesn't apply here.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Zerk

Zerk attached the following image(s):
carpet-1_SM.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 5:08:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

There's no telling what the condition of that board will be after pulling up the present carpet that has been glued down. Some areas may ease up without issue, others may pull some small board with the carpet. Further, the glue may need to be removed and may be quite rigid and sharp in some areas. You may get very inconsistent results if you are not fully prepared for what may lie beneath which is why some people may have recommended a professional