Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

natural dyes vs synthetics
GreenNato Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:42:10 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

I recently bought two 6' x 4' Chobi rugs (made in Afghanistan). I was told they used plant based dyes.

What are some indicators that the dyes in newer carpets (like my two chobis) are plant based and not synthetic?

Thanks!
File Attachment(s):
chobi_1.jpg (2,442kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
chobi_2.jpg (2,488kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Sharafi & Co Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:07:51 PM(UTC)

The natural dye recognition is more experience through comparisons. However, it has to do with depth of colour, clarity of colour and always remember that it is almost impossible to get acidic shades with natural dyes. But the other factor is the wool itself. If it is machine spun then you don't get the same clarity and depth as you would with handspun. The machine spun take traces of grease from the machine which will then make dying more difficult and the dye will not have the same clarity. To me the wool in your pieces are not naturally dyed. Having said that it is not that easy to tell from photos ( not for me anyway). However, the later version of the Chobis were at best a mixture of natural and chemical dyes. It does take longer to dye wool with natural dyes and it is harder work, which not all producers want to go through. Time is money and all that. So they use a mixture.
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
1 user thanked Sharafi & Co for this useful post.
GreenNato on 5/30/2014(UTC)
GreenNato Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:08:19 PM(UTC)

Thank you for your explanation and response. The colours, primarily the red/burgundy and the earthy orange brown seemed almost richer yet a little muted, compared to some other carpets. But being new to the carpet world I wasn't sure if this had more to do with the colour palettes used for these types of chobi rugs.

I assumed that at best it would have been a mixture of synthetic and plant dyes; as you pointed out the economics of it.

In terms of mixing dyes, of all the colours would it be the red that would normally be plant based? It seems like abrash is most coveted int eh reds...

Thanks,
Sharafi & Co Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:45:16 PM(UTC)

It really depends but at best the red is a mixture. The Chobis are usually washed to death and an abrush or change in colour is not necessarily an indication of vegetable dying if that is what you are suggesting
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
KAD Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 2:01:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

There are good reasons for both types. Real natural dyes are acutally very deep and bright. From looking at your pictures I thing none of your rugs is made using natural dyes. The red one is chimical chrome dye for sure, the other one is most likely chrome dye and bleached and washed to death as Sharafi & Co. posted before.

Chrome dyes are used in all textile industry and if the dye master is expirienced He can get a result that looks like natural dye. Vegetable dyes are more difficult to use and very expensive compared to chrome dyes.

Some producers of Chobi rugs really use natural dyes, but today more than 90% of the production is low grade commercial and there the dyes are always chrome.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

1 user thanked KAD for this useful post.
GreenNato on 5/30/2014(UTC)
GreenNato Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 8:56:14 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the info. I assumed they would not be natural dyes, based on price alone.