Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ebay Kerman $23,000
Gracey Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:39:16 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board here, just hoping to get a thorough assessment of this rug on ebay. It's an antique kerman item number 310024999425. I'm actually very interested in this rug and we have the budget for it, although something tells me it's priced a little high.

Direct link:http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574716523&toolid=10001&campid=5336111917&customid=Forum&icep_item=310024999425&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

Thanks so much, this is a really pretty rug, I'm just curious on what this is, it seems like a very special carpet!

-Gracey
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

cloudband Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:24:12 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

This carpet is a classic example of mythological/pictorial rugs which came from Kerman around the turn of the century. Although not at all pictorial rugs are isolated to this specific time period, much of the production span in Persia of this type of rug (with Shahs'/kings integrated into weavings) took place between 1890's to 1910. Although it could be from the 1870's as the seller says, I doubt this to be the case. It is probably more accurate to say maybe 1900 or so but no newer than 1915. It certainly is a Kerman in all respects, although probably inspired by a rug made several years prior which is sited at the bottom of this post.

Although within the Western markets here in the States, these particular carpets never fetched a high premium. The exception to this would be the late 70's and early 80's where the Iranian government was purchasing these rugs at prominent auction houses in London and New York for big bucks. Pictorial rug popularity has somewhat dwindled in this part of the world as the historic importance of such rugs pertains to the areas in which the rugs were created, namely Iran.

There is a very similar carpet (an inverse/mirror image to this one) which is in the Carpet Museum of Iran. I believe that particular carpet can be traced back to a early 1980's Sotheby's auction where with the buyers premium and final hammer price brought in somewhere around $25,000. Although, the rug on eBay and the one in the museum appear to be of different vintage and quality. This carpet is known as a "nymph" design, and there are probably more than several in existence. We know of at least one rug very similar to this rug which surfaced sometime early 2007 in an eBay live auction. Take note, that although there may have been a similar rug which sold at auction for high prices, this is completely dependent on actual quality, condition, design execution, and current market price. I believe the rug in the Carpet Museum is probably of the extra fine kerman quality of 550 KPSI or so. In general, the current market for these Persian pictorial rugs is not quite what it used to be, although one never can tell unless the same rug is sent back to auction at a later date.

Surprisingly, although many of these rugs were hung on walls for decorative purposes, this particular carpet does show some areas of wear and classic "corduroy" effect from use. The rug photographs very well, however take a very careful look at all photographs, maybe 3 or 4 minutes scanning all photographs for areas that look as though knot heads are showing: This does affect value.

In the meantime, take a look at this rug which is in the Carpet Museum of Iran, I believe the rug in the carpet museum predates the one on eBay. I say this because the one on ebay is less ornate, and almost is a "zoom-in" of the one in the Museum.

http://www.carpetmuseum....ollections/htmls/111.htm
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
Gracey Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:14:51 AM(UTC)

Wow, thank you so much for the very informative assessment!!! I really like this rug, and it has come as a big surprise that a similar rug is in a Museum. Very interesting!

I took a look at the photographs again, however was unable to detect the low areas you were speaking of. I am too far from the seller to see the carpet in person... How much do these low areas affect price?

You mentioned there are rugs in a museum with this design, does this mean this carpet is a museum quality rug or of high investment potential?

-Gracey
cloudband Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:50:41 AM(UTC)

Here are some photographs which we outlined areas with lower pile. Pay particular attention to Assmnt2, 3 and 4. These are the most severe areas, although there could be more we didn't see. These areas could be moth damage, or simple wear. Definitely not oxidation from dyes.

As for the value, the seller has the rug listed at $23,000. This price does seem a little high, but it is justifiable as a retail price. For an internet sale however, and being that the rug is coming from outside the States, I think the price should be significantly lower. As the buyer online, you have no benefit to seeing the rug in person and receiving service as a client. In general, it's really tough to say an exact value without looking at the rug in person. It doesn't appear as though there is any foundation showing which is a big plus, although there were several areas which were pretty low.

For a piece like this, the market value is really dictated by what someone actually ends up paying for the rug. In other words, there's no set "value" until the rug is actually sold.
cloudband attached the following image(s):
Assmnt1.jpg
Assmnt2.jpg
Assmnt3.jpg
Assmnt4.jpg
assmnt5.jpg
Assmnt6.jpg
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:55:53 AM(UTC)

Very cool rug you found Gracey.

Just for fun, I tried appraising the rug with the rug estimator pro. If you're seriously considering purchasing this carpet, I would advise against it, or have a TRUSTED local professional assess the rug in person.

This is completely subjective: I have no idea what the actual knot count of the rug is, and a good deal of this is going by experience. A kirman like this probably has something like 225 KPSI or so which would place it in the lower part of the rug estimate although knot count could be even higher. It's in good condition going by the slightly chewed up corners cloudband pointed out and the wear. I'm not entirely convinced the rug is veggie dyes, although it does seem to be handspun wool, and could be a 2 ply yarn.

I agree with cloudband in that this rug is probably a copy of some sort dated not too long after the rug sourced from the Carpet Museum of Iran.

http://www.RugRag.com/Ap...B-4583-90CA-C9DBFAA17025
cloudband Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:49:57 AM(UTC)

Gracey,

I did a little more research to verify information I had given you. The rug the Carpet Museum of Iran features is approximately 16'4"x11'5". I have found one nearly identical rug in a Sotheby's catalogue (Lot 398) dated October 30th and 31st of 1981.

This is how the exact auction reads:

"Property of Various Owners"

398 FINE LAVAR KIRMAN MYTHOLOGICAL CARPET, Persia.
Depicting Erotes playing the pipes to the nymph Pitys, last quarter 19th century. Approximately 10 feet 9 inches (3.25 m.) x 7 feet 1 inch (2.16 m.)

Note:
A similar example may be seen in Sotheby's London catalogue of October 15, 1980, lot #50.

Sale Results Lot Number 389: $24,750 Including Buyers Premium

It should be noted, that all of the carpets we have discussed concerning Sotheby's auction and the rug displayed in the Carpet Museum are what one would consider to be the "Original" rugs. Although it is possible there may have been very similar rugs created before and/or after this production, it is quite clear the Museum rug as well as the Sotheby's rug are of a higher investment grade. One can deduce that because the eBay rug is a slightly simplified version regarding design and details of the previously mentioned rugs meaning it was probably post production of the "originals." Given the difference in size, these rugs are comparable in look, however probably significantly different in value, all else equal regarding condition. Sotheby's identifies these rugs as being from the late 19th century, and second quarter of the 19th century. This would mean the creation of these carpets would have been from 1875-1899, making the rug under review from eBay most likely from a first quarter 20th century vintage.

cloudband attached the following image(s):
SothebysKerman1981.jpg
SothebysCat1981.jpg
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
Tabriz Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2008 11:05:43 AM(UTC)

cloudband wrote:
For a piece like this, the market value is really dictated by what someone actually ends up paying for the rug. In other words, there's no set "value" until the rug is actually sold.

Cloudband, why don't you just say it straight forward! That rug is the sellers "retirement rug"
OneMigWire Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 2:03:34 AM(UTC)

Quote:
Cloudband, why don't you just say it straight forward! That rug is the sellers "retirement rug"

I saw this exact rug on eBay a couple months ago for $19,000 from the same seller. I think it is definately worth every bit of $20,000 or so AT RETAIL. That is to say, you walk into your corner oriental rug store, and $23,000 is pretty much what you walk out of the store with the rug for. Retail is different than Suggested Retail.

This is not the man's retirement rug, this is the industry standard. Of course you're biased cause you're Tabriz, not Kerman
Gracey Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 2:53:14 AM(UTC)

Thank you SOOOO much all!!!! Cloudband, thank you for all the research! YAY great info, let me know if you ever need a beanie baby I have a special one set aside for you!

-Gracey
cloudband Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 4:11:59 PM(UTC)

YW Gracey, Please be sure to do a follow up!
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag