Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Appraisal for Fette Nichols type Art Deco Carpets?
PetieM Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:01:27 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello, I posted images in the ID forum of rugs I acquired from my grandfather who purchased them while stationed in Panama b/w 1926 and 1929. Now I need to know if they have value before deciding what to do with them. I will repeat the posting of some of the images here. Their sizes are:
Light rose colored rugs: 34x54, 49x84
Dark rose colored rugs: 31x48, 21x25
The rugs are in pretty good shape, showing wear on one of them in particular upon close examination. The darker ones are in very good shape. They are also in need of cleaning.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Petie
PetieM attached the following image(s):
LtRose34x54x.jpg
LtRoseBackQuarterx.jpg
LtRoseSelvageFrontx.jpg
LtRoseWearDetailx.jpg
DkRose31x48x.jpg
DkRose21x25x.jpg
DkRoseDetailFrontx.jpg
DkRoseFrontBackx.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:24:55 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

With this sort of rug/group and the question of cleaning you would probably want to have them looked by someone who could advise you after seeing them in person and some discussion. They're not super valuable, but these are rugs that appear to be in ok (or better) condition and it sounds like some consideration needs to be given to different variables. Even location may make a differenece.
1 user thanked RugPro for this useful post.
PetieM on 1/27/2014(UTC)
PetieM Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 10:59:19 AM(UTC)

Thank you - sounds like an appraisal is in order. I'm not so sure, however, that these have enough value to go through the appraisal-cleaning-selling process. Any guesses ($$) as to what these would sell for, especially the set of the 2 darker rose rugs which show little wear, given that they all lack stains (on the rugs) and odors? I realize there are multiple ways to sell and some venues may be more reasonable than others for this type of rug. I would accept any advice in that category, as well. Also, interest in this pattern of oval rug and the colors may be somewhat limited - I really don't have any idea about this.
PetieM Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:04:52 AM(UTC)

I have since learned that these rugs are neither Fette-Li nor Nichols rugs from a local appraiser. Also, that they don't have much value... maybe a few $100 (max) or less, not due to their condition, but due to the quality of the design, detail, lack of being a currently popular style, etc., etc. If anyone disagrees based on my photos (some also posted in ID request), I would love to know.
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:25:58 AM(UTC)

PetieM Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:04:20 AM(UTC)

It was a local guy, in New Haven, CT. I stopped by because he said he would take a quick look at them (no charge) so I decided to start there to get a general idea. The store is Arakelian - not sure I spelled that right.
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:23:23 AM(UTC)

They are very reputable. I am surprised to hear the low $ amount of value and dismissal of chinese fetti-li variety. However, if they saw the rugs in person they have a much better handle on it than us seeing photos online.
PetieM Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:06:58 AM(UTC)

That's good to know - that they are reputable. It was a shot-in-the-dark (looked up local folks on the internet). His client list was impressive, however. He didn't give any actual firm prices - but said that due to the style of the rugs, (oval + the paler colors) they were not high on the popularity list as of right now. So, he predicted that selling them might take some time. He said he would give them a light washing and hold them in his store for awhile to see what might happen. (He had a LOT of used carpets there). After a few months, we can re-evaluate. We are not in a hurray but would like to see the rugs find a home where they are appreciated. He also indicated that the condition of the rugs was surprisingly good, one not as good as the others but not in bad shape.

All very interesting!

Thanks for your input.