Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Methods of Washing Rugs
allmymarbles Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 2:16:29 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

When in Iran many years ago I had a rug washed with choobak. I was told it was good for the rug and also improved its appearance. Is choobak the same as soapwart (Saponaria officionalis)? If it is, can I wash a rug with it in the same manner as I would with an oil-based soap?
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Little-Persia Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:43:46 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Not sure... choeb/choob/chob in Farsi means wood... just a guess but choobak could mean wood bark? Just a guess, I've heard of furs being "washed" in a bran bath or woodchip/sawdust wheel to soften the fabric, might be something similar? If it's definitely a plant the I've no idea.
Sharafi & Co Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:10:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

wow you must have been in Iran a long time ago. The did use to use choobak for washing but not anymore and it wasnt just for carpets. But that must have been about 40 years ago when most rugs were woven with natural dyes and very good wool.I am not sure what exactly choobak's ingredients were. However, washing handmade carpets is not as simple as you think. Firstly it depends on the carpet. I have washed antique silk Kashan in hot boiling water and none of the dyes were effected and on the other side of the scale shown water to a Moroccon rug and the colours ran. Then it is the matter the carpet losing its shape and having to stretch it. I hope you see the point I am trying to make.
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com