Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Collecting on a budget
Lucy M Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:25:44 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi all, just wanted to share some of my flea-market bargains. I read on another forum that it's not possible to collect on a budget but for me the fun is in scouring the flea markets and bootsales and occasionally coming up trumps Dancing

Here are just a few of my favourites, all of which cost £50 or under, I'll put what I think they are but would welcome any opinions.

First up is this 6' x 1'8" piece, I thought it was an Ersari tent bag face but an 'expert' told me it is a Tekke rug, I'd very much welcome another opinion on this.

Here's the back

Next a Turkman Torba (poss Yomud?)

A bit faded but beautiful workmanship

The next one is still a bit of a mystery to me, I've got some ideas but am not sure at all, it's condition would suggest it's a modern piece but I don't know where from.

From SW Persia, two bags and a bagface

A beautiful Qashqai

Kurdish Jaff

Not sure! My husband and I have been arguing about this one since we got it, the only thing we're confidant about is that it's South West! Any opinions gratefully recieved

Finally, my all time favourite (and the one I spent the £50 on!) Afghan, this has been shown elsewhere on the forum but I wanted to add it to this thread as an example of what can be bought on a budget.

There's plenty more where this lot came from but that's all for now - Thanks for looking

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Sharafi & Co Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:26:43 PM(UTC)

You have some really nice pieces there, obviously have an eye for rugs. I must say I am not very good with the Turkmans they are a whole different story to themselves and KAD is I think quite good at this. The first and second ones while they are Turkmans I am not too sure about the tribes the third one I have my doubts about being a Turkman but not my field anyway. Your Qashqai bag is actually Lori but not that far away from each other a very nice bag if the backing is in tact as well. You are right with your Jaff I take it that it has very soft shiny wool. The next one you dont have a photo of the back but I am almost sure it is an Afshar and the Turkman at the end is beautiful. And you have more... you should open a shop :D
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
nick Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:54:22 PM(UTC)

Hi
Well done nice pieces
did i meet you at Malvern antiques fair back in the summer?
Lucy M Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:15:52 PM(UTC)

Thanks both

Sharafi - Lol! that would mean selling them!

I don't think the third one is Turkman either, my instinct is modern Afghan to Turkman design, it is beautifully made though, finely woven and lovely soft wool. The Qashqai/Lori bag has a great back, a flat weave striped design with V's and dots (sorry no photo's to hand) thanks for pointing out it's Lori I shall do some research on that. The Afshar has a plain madder back with a fair bit of abrash - Gutted to find out it's an Afshar, that's what my husband has been saying! d'oh! and yes the Jaff is very soft and shiny, we have a few of these, one of which we call the 'Rebel Rug' as it has a tiny Kurdish flag woven into the border :D Thanks again.

Nick - Highly likely! Were you the guy we were bugging all morning and pulling everything out of your trailer to have a look at?
nick Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 3:54:48 AM(UTC)

Hi
Yes that was me i found the flea market at Malvern good take a look
Lucy M Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 2:47:59 PM(UTC)

Hi Nick - Already a regular, it's my favourite flea :D