Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

luxurybound
luxurybound Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:15:31 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

i've been looking at nain rugs. this one is 10x13 and i've been told this is made by traditional nain weavers and not in the suburbs in higher production ways made for export. i'd appreciate a sense of its value and any questions i should ask as I'm new to this. thank you
luxurybound attached the following image(s):
rug1.jpg
rug2.jpg
rug3.jpg
rug4.jpg
rug5.jpg
rug6 copy.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Little-Persia Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:42:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Looks like a 9Laa standard production quality Nain.
Sharafi & Co Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:47:17 PM(UTC)

With all due respect to Little Persia I think it is from Tabas not Nain. But the outlines are quite crisp and fine. If you are buying it from a shop it should be around $250 a meter and if from an auction around $100 a meter. That is Square meter by the way. If Little Persia is right then it is worth more than that.
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
luxurybound Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:05:28 PM(UTC)

thank you for your replies. i'll ask more questions but have been told it is from nain and that some of the others i looked at were from outside of nain (tabas presumably). if tabas, sounds like price should be $3K. How much more is it worth if nain? thank you
Little-Persia Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 4:37:28 AM(UTC)

It is either a low (in relative terms) Nain or a good quality Tabbas.
luxurybound Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 10:39:03 AM(UTC)

i am told it is nain, not tabas and 200 kpsi, 9 laa.
Little-Persia Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 11:01:50 AM(UTC)

luxurybound

Tabas are very rarely sold as Tabas as they are basically lower-end copies of Nain's. So it really depends on who is telling you. I thought it looked more Nain due to what appeared to be the flexibility from the main picture. Hard to tell from photos.
luxurybound Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 12:09:37 PM(UTC)

I see. So, are there questions that one should ask that would help to determine whether it is tabas or nain? Or is it more something that an expert would know by looking at the rug?
KAD Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 5:43:48 AM(UTC)

To get you totally confused ;-) I think it is for sure not made in Nain (central Iran)or even around it. Wool, Color and design are for sure east persian production. Tabbas is the lowest grade of these rugs. This one (if it really is 200 kpsi - please check your self and count if it is 14 knots in a row of 1 Inch) would then not be made in Tabbas but in Neishapoor. This production is finer than Tabbas but has the same straw like wool from east persia. Also the "silk" highlights are not natural silk. Have the dealer take one of the very white fibers around the designs out of the pile and do a burn test. Usually it is Viscose. Naishapour are the most common "Nain" rugs in finer qualtiy on the market.

On the picture from the left:

1. "Nain" Tabbas standart / Commercial, wool / viscose highlights
2. "Nain" Neishapoor / fine about 200 kpsi / wool and viscose highlights
3. Nain Original fine 9 la, kurkwool and natural silk highlights
4. Nain original very fine 6 la kurkwool annd natural silk highlights

It must be clear to you that the first two rugs are the most common on todays market and prices are what most poeple are willing to spend. The other two (real Nain) are defenently higher priced and better quality, but not available in same numbers as the cheaper ones.

File Attachment(s):
Nainvergleich.jpg (1,276kb) downloaded 58 time(s).
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

KAD Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 5:56:08 AM(UTC)

Post above: Picture from the right, not left - sorry!

luxurybound Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 11:03:27 AM(UTC)

thank you -- are there general price ranges per square meter or foot that relate to each of these rugs?

should the dealer be able to show me something that says precisely where the rug was weaved?
He'll give me a certificate with a bill of sale with the information about the rug but presumably that is just something he creates.
KAD Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:56:41 AM(UTC)

General price ranges per area are possible if you are able to define the quality 100% since the rug seems to be new production. It is a good quality rug of commercial production and better than regular Tabbas. Rug prices are different due to market conditions all over the world, but if it is a new rug with actually 200 kpsi, no defects and A quality it should be retailing at a price of 40 - 60 USD per squarefoot (this would be calculated on basis of todays market prices for rugs of this quality newly produced in Iran). Since the rug is offered in USA it must be there for quite a while since the embargo is ative since sept. 29th 2010. At that time prices in Iran where lower, but prices in USA for rugs of Iranian origin seem to have gone up sice then.

If the dealer trys to sell you the rug as "Original Nain" - he might not know better or just prefer to tell ferrytales from 1001 nights and maybe you should check for another seller if it is important to you to get an original Nain. If it dosen't matter to you where the rug is made and the rug has a good pricetag you may be fine with this.

May I ask you the other way around: How much are you willing to spend on a Nain this size and I can tell you what you are able to get.

There is no "official" certificat of origin that comes with the rug - so you will depend on what the dealer tells you.

luxurybound Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:28:10 AM(UTC)

My main objective is to pay a reasonable price whatever that may be within reason and not be ripped off

The price he has offered me is under $40/sq foot so that appears reasonable if the rug is "weaved within the city of Nain", has "approximately 200 kpsi", has "9 laa", and has "highlights of real silk" (he says that given how little silk is in the rug, it would not make sense to use a substitute). I'm buying through him directly and not via ebay though he has a big ebay business with satisfied buyers

What about the rug tells you it is not an "Original Nain"? The pattern or colors?
When I asked if it was indeed weaved in Nain as one who looked at it thought it might be weaved in Neishapoor, he says it was weaved in Nain and that Neishapoor weaves similar and sometimes higher quality rugs.
Sharafi & Co Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:40:34 AM(UTC)

At the end of the day you buy the rug that you like as you have to live with it day in day out. Your question was is it Nain and now much its worth. I havent seen or felt the piece but I think it is very unlikely that it is Nain, and I also do not think it is worth $40 a foot but if it is worth it to you go for it and enjoy it.
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
luxurybound Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:12:48 PM(UTC)

well, rug buying isn't proving easy. the dealer says everyone else is messing with me and stands by his statements. It is less than $40 per square foot. I'm open to looking elsewhere but haven't seen any rugs from anyone who appears reputable offering better values. I've looked through the forums here but haven't found such a list. I see where rugrag is starting a credentialed seller but that doesn't seem up and running yet. It definitely feels like an industry that hurts itself by making buyers feel uncomfortable about getting taken advantage of - sigh
KAD Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 12:55:52 AM(UTC)

It is no easy market. As you may have noticed all answers about the origin where doubting it is from Nain. This Evaluation was made based on the Pictures available. All answering members are reputable rug Dealers in their Countries - so we have no Intention to "steal" you as a customer by making you not buy from this dealer. Also all menbers who answered are out of the USA and could´t send rugs to the USA due to the embargy anyways. There are a lot of poeple out there who make their living with untrustworthy Business in this industry. But I think your dealer is no cruck. I still don´t think it is a rug that was made in Nain - Colors, design and optical apperance look more like North east iranian. If he thinks it is from Nain - well, this discussion appears on many other rugs also. Kashan rugs are made in Kashan, Gazwin, Ardakan. Qum rugs are made in Qum, Zandjan, Bonab. Also all These rugs are copied in other countries. American cars are made in Mexico. Iphone Comes from China using a lot of Germany parts..... The City it was made in is not so important.
Again: if the Price is ok, the rug has no defects and it is a Grade A rug with Price acceptable there is no reason why you shouldn´t buy it. At least 95% of the stores I know would sell this rug as a Nain due to Color and design.