Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

vauuming hand knotted rug
hanna750 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:39:09 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi there,
I have a rug that was made in India. It's wool and does not shed. My question is when i tried vacuuming it a couple times i noticed that a couple of the thread or nubs came out. I did cut them so it's not noticeable. How do I prevent this from happening again? The vacuum was on the highest setting and the beater bar is turned off. Is this normal?? What can i use instead of a vacuum?

Thanks so much!!
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

orientalyarns Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:27:06 AM(UTC)

Hi Hanna750

Thanks for your post, a question that gets asked quite often is how to easily maintain an Oriental Carpet using basic methods found in the home.

First thing to remember when a rug gets used, is that the pile deep within collects dust and dirt from the outside world. This if not removed each year can be abrasive to the pile itself and will start to wear the rug from the inside.

There are several methods to remove dust from a rug which include the following:

- Take the rug outside to a hard surface and turn the piece upside down.
- Now using a broom, tennis racket or other similar item beat the rug all over the reverse to remove the dust. (if you do not have access to these items you can walk or stamp over it to give the same effect)
- Then remove the rug to see the fall out if any, and repeat if you feel necessary.

Other methods include using a Rug Brush which is basically a bunch of dried twigs bound together which can be used on the pile of the rug, by brushing down the pile, not against it.

If in doubt, take it to your local carpet dealer where they will assess your rug for professional cleaning.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.
Kind Regards,

Stephen Saunders

If you find my information to be informative and helpful towards your post, please Thank my comment in the top right hand corner of this post.

*All comments, opinions and views are my own unless stated or linked within my posts. All details provided via photographic evidence can only be used as a guide, unless the piece is in front of me for a full appraisal.
hanna750 Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:34:56 PM(UTC)

Thanks for your quick response. My rug is 9 by 12 and very heavy to take outside to remove dust. I guess I can try the brush method but I must say that I find it confusing because so many say that it's important to keep vacuuming the rug to remove dust yet I can't do it. I wonder if it's the quality of the rug although it seems like it is made well. Someone also mentioned to me to use the attachment on the vacuum. I haven't tried that yet. I just never thought vacuuming a rug could be so complex. Also I want to mention that some friends that own a hand knotted rug never heard of this problem either and they vacuum their rugs often.
so confused.....
thanks again for responding :)
1 user thanked hanna750 for this useful post.
orientalyarns on 10/11/2012(UTC)
Rugfirm Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:31:45 PM(UTC)

As a rule, vacuuming your rug should not harm it in any way, and it is in fact recommended that you vacuum clean your rug as often as possible. I would suggest you have a professional examine your rug for possible flaws.