Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

E-Commerce shop for high quality carpets???
maiestro Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:52:04 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello everyone,

I have a good friend who has a carpet business in Germany. Unfortunately he gets no traffic in his shop. He is sitting all day and waiting for something to happen.

He is selling high quality rugs like ziegler, ghom silk and other carpets etc. (sorry I don't know much about carpets). I suggested to him to open an onlineshop so he can show his products to the world. He is

arguing that there is no market online for these kind of carpets. everybody is looking or a great deal and he can not go into a price fight. his customers (if they find his shop) have high standards and he is

afraid to lose his image. he has no online presence at all. not even a website where he can show his big showroom. Now I want to help him.

Do you think it is a good idea selling these high quality rugs online? Do people buy that online? As you know some of these carpets costs several thousands of euros. I am aware that over internet it is difficult

to consult the customers, but there must be a way to sell these things. I want him to start out in Germany first and then expand to European Countries. There is a lot of competition on this market. I think it

will be tough to get to the top of the search engines but I don't want him to sit and wait for something that won't happen. It would be best if he works together with an e-commerce agency, but these people

only want to sell their products (as everybody else) and not know much about the carpet business. So I am asking you as carpet experts. What do you guys think about the idea? Do you know businesses who

sell high quality and expensive carpets online with great success? Thank you for your help. Have a nice day!
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KAD Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 5:22:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Hi and welcome.
I think your friend has a problem. If he didn`t think it is importand to have a website until now, don`t have him spend a lot of money and time for a online shop. We are selling rugs online since 12 years on ebay and our own online shop. At the beginning it was just a little game and a lot of fun, but now it became a real piece of hard work. If you are planing to open an online shop, you need to be able to do a lot of work with the computer like uploading, updating, anwsering a lot of emails every day (most of the time for nothing) and so on. Your friend seems to have the time - so this is ok. But if he is not able to do the mentioned work, he will need to have someone do this for him. If you have this done by a pro, it will cost him a lot of money and there is no guarantee anyone will buy anything from him.
Also customers in Germany still prefer personal contact. We do most of our online shop sales internationally to Canada, UK, France, Italy and South American countries. If you think "I will open an online shop and everything will be ok" - forget it! Most big players in the market have their rugs online by now, and if you want to compete with them you must have competetive prices and competetive cost structure handling the online market.
Best would be to start with a well made website without online shop. Check the trafic and then decide if it makes sence to spend money for the online shop.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

1 user thanked KAD for this useful post.
maiestro on 8/6/2012(UTC)