Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Can someone help a newbie??
Tina Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 12:46:04 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I picked up this rug for $50 because of the soft colors, but it needs to be cleaned; stinky, dirty in middle, not stained. 7'10" x 9'10". Cleaners gave me an estimate of $250. I think it is wool with silk highlights. Knot count is about 14 x 14 per square inch (I've been reading the forum to learn!!) I think it is hand made not machine-made.(?) Can anyone give me further information such as age, value, origin - anything is appreciated!! Most of all, worth the $250 to clean??? (or give to the dog!)Many thanks-
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0402.JPG (2,762kb) downloaded 97 time(s).
IMG_0403.JPG (2,222kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
IMG_0404.JPG (2,407kb) downloaded 49 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

DustyB Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 1:09:52 PM(UTC)

Go for it! This looks like one of those modern Persian style rugs made in India or Pakistan that you see at Capel Rugs. If you like the colors and design, get it cleaned and enjoy.
Large Rugs Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:50:30 AM(UTC)
Groups: Dealers, Member

No great shakes, and would seem to be made in China.
Tina Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:05:41 AM(UTC)

Thanks - so in other words, it's not a good carpet?... If no one else thinks otherwise, I might as well take the cleaning money and apply it to buying a good one!
fredgrower Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:52:53 AM(UTC)

It's a hand-knotted carpet and a large size. I can't see anything wrong with it, other than needing to be cleaned. At $50 it's a great deal, maybe price around to see what other cleaners are charging. I don't think you could find a "good" $300 hand-knotted rug at this size. If you like it, get it cleaned, I would. (There is nothing wrong with Chinese rugs, they are well made and last a long time:)
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 2:00:58 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I would have to agree with fredgrower. However, these rugs are not atypical of coarse wool merchandise carried by department stores @ $10/ft new. The silk highlights are often faux silk, and commonly recess after a wash.

If you are happy with the rug, go for it! fredgrower is right, there's no way you're going to find a hand knotted wool rug with good pile of this density and detail for the cost to clean. Good for you on this find!
Peter Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:33:17 AM(UTC)

Tina wrote:
I picked up this rug for $50 because of the soft colors, but it needs to be cleaned; stinky, dirty in middle, not stained. 7'10" x 9'10". Cleaners gave me an estimate of $250. I think it is wool with silk highlights. Knot count is about 14 x 14 per square inch (I've been reading the forum to learn!!) I think it is hand made not machine-made.(?) Can anyone give me further information such as age, value, origin - anything is appreciated!! Most of all, worth the $250 to clean??? (or give to the dog!)Many thanks-

New Tabriz - wool with silk. Price of cleaning depends on kind of filth.