Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Double Sided Persian
Astovio Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:42:29 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

So I thought I was done buying rugs, and then I found this. A double sided Persian rug. I wasn't able to find much information on double sided rugs. The little I did find suggested they're very rare and exclusive. I that's so, I feel compelled to give you all the treat of admiring my new purchase.

I paid $4500 for this rug. It's about 75 in by 50 in (6.25ft by 4.125 ft). It has silk piles, silk fringes, but there's a flat-weave border around which I can't tell the fabric. Although my untrained eye believes it could be silk as well. The KPSI is ridiculous. From the pictures, I counted 31 knots in one inch, which if that's consistent would put the KPSI at over 900. That's consistent with the research I did, which said double sided rugs have to have high density and very consistent knots so that the piles are even hide the back side of the opposite pile.

For those who don't know, (and those more knowledgeable, correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what google told me): A double sided rug is made on a vertical loom, with two weavers. One weaver weaves the first row, then the weft of the next row. The weaver on the opposite side then weaves their row and the next row of weft, and this process goes back and forth all the way up the rug. So every other row is the backside of the other pile, and the high density is supposed to cover that up.

I'm personally thrilled. During the research, I was looking for similar rugs to compare with the dealers asking price, but I couldn't find any double sided Persians on the internet. That's not true, I found one for $3000, but my expert eye (sarcasm) decided it was of lesser quality, and this was worth the extra $1500. I found a couple others, but they were antique rugs, not accurate for price comparison. Although those antique rugs were going for well over $10,000. Will this be worth that one day?
File Attachment(s):
KPSI1.JPG (2,316kb) downloaded 65 time(s).
KPSI2.JPG (2,513kb) downloaded 52 time(s).
Astovio attached the following image(s):
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG
Thickness.JPG
Proof its not just two rugs.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Large Rugs Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:49:25 PM(UTC)
Groups: Dealers, Member

Dancing

Beautiful
fredgrower Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:52:06 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

I like your rug! I've only seen a few double-sided rugs and think they are awesome. Where did you find yours? Someone once posted there are a few fakes, where 2 rugs are sewn back to back, but with the super high kpsi on yours, I believe it is the real thing...although, I'm not sure where these are produced. As for the future value, who knows, we all hope for an increase when selling (but a decrease when buying:) Enjoy it & thanks for sharing!!