Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ebay "Antique" rug
jml_200955 Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:52:36 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi all,

I just bought a rug from an Ebay merchant that stated it is a "1930's antique Caucasion Rug, 2'4 x 3." The description says it's a one of kind, one time offer, etc. The purchase went through for $273 and shipping arranged ( it's to arrive today). I looked again at the merchant's offerings and the same style rug (looks identical to the one I bought)is back up for sale for $223. Can a so-called antique circa 1930s rug have an exact duplicate?

Thanks in advance,

JML
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Large Rugs Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:08:07 AM(UTC)
Groups: Dealers, Member

If the rug which is attached is the rug under question, this is a Caucasian design as the seller states inside the listing. It is not a Caucasian rug by definition. White salvage & general construction point to 1960's Ardabil rugs. We did not see the new addition of another rug, although, it is not impossible there are twins or sets of this exact design & color in the same size.

It is a sweet little rug. Enjoy it for what it is as every hand made item is unique in its own way.
Large Rugs attached the following image(s):
ardebil_rug_20121104.JPG
fredgrower Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:10:08 AM(UTC)

Hi, I like eBay, but there are a lot of rug sellers there who "lie" to sell rugs. I bought what was stated as a vintage Isfahan blah, blah blah, looked good in the photos (well sort of), received a stiff as a board piece of junk rug which I sent back. Thanks to many of the people here on this site, the rug was identified as something completely different than what was posted. eBay has a good buyer protection policy and I still buy there. Some of the sellers get mad at returns, but I have found some real treasures too. The key is to do a lot of research and take some chances once in awhile. Post some clear photos of the rug, when you get it & good luck!
jml_200955 Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:44:10 AM(UTC)

Thanks Largerugs,

Very perceptive of you for that is the rug in question. The new listing is at: http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg and at $50.00 less than I am paying. It has yet to arrive so I can't comment on the condition but I do like the design and will probably keep it if it's in good shape. I just wish these sellers were more 'up-front' with their descriptions. One of a kind, 1930's? I think not.

Thanks again,

JML
jml_200955 Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:32:11 AM(UTC)

Thanks Fredgrower,

Any advice on sellers with whom you've had luck and from those that should be avoided?

JML
jml_200955 Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:21:11 PM(UTC)

I just received the rug. Here are the pictures:

http://www.kodakgallery....photoPicker/albums.jsp#

JML
jml_200955 Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:55:04 PM(UTC)

Oops sorry I new to this, let's try this again.

File Attachment(s):
P1010499.JPG (1,438kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:03:35 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I agree with fredgrower

you have to be careful.

ardebil is better attribution like largerugs says. price seems ok, but not great for nr auction. age is simply wrong. buyer beware. this seller in my opinion is notorious for 1930's rugs that are really from the 1960s. does it make a difference? yes, it does: in value and perceived value. they leverage their ability to lie, have you shop around, then feel like you're buying an older rug for a lesser price. it's easy to get caught up in an auction too, so be careful out there. it is a sweet rug, but really you would probably "fare" better from a reputable, local shop with real age, real prices, and less question as to what else goes on in inflating the price? shill bidding? other uninformed buyers loving the rug based on what they think they've seen in a retail store? Buy local from reputable sellers and still leave with a good feeling of not being preyed upon with false id is my opinion.

good to have you on the forum, if this is one of your first rugs, it's sweet. I would talk to the seller and let them know you feel the item was misrepresented. if it is of any leverage, there are sellers who have these pieces for the same price, unused no fade, maybe even better quality same era, etc.
jml_200955 Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:50:13 PM(UTC)

Thanks all,

The rug is pretty and we like the design. It is my first Ebay buy so I guess I'm lucky I didn't get beat up too badly.