Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Buy in UAE or USA?
msdunkel Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:01:48 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Good day,

This is my first post here, looks like a very good resource so after browsing several sites I opted to register here. Anyway, looking for a generalization. I am stationed in the middle east in Abu Dhabi, and it seems to me rugs out here are relatively expensive. I know that while the malls have some absolutely stunning rugs, the prices are intended for rich tourists or Emirates with a LOT more money than me. I've done the carpet souk @ port Zayed and all they had was junky machine-made stuff, I've shopped Dragonmart in Dubai, and I've tried Global Village in Dubai. Of all these places, the only place I found that had good quality rugs at somewhat reasonable prices was a vendor at Global Village selling Kashmiri rugs.

I purchased a 6x8, 324 KPSI, single-knotted silk rug from them last year for 5500 AED (~$1500) and felt like it was too much, but it was probably the best bang-for the buck I could get and my daughter just wanted it :). This year I went back to the same vendor and he's offering pretty much the exact same quality/price combination, but on a 4x6 instead of 5x7. He claims global availability is down and prices have accordingly went up. Considering we're in a global recession and the price on everything but oil seems to have gone down I found this highly suspect but who knows. Anyway, in general does $1500 sound like way too much to pay for a 4x6' (or even a 5x7') silk rug made in Kashmir? Should I be waiting until I get back the US and buying from one of the many online vendors (oldcarpet.org?) and purchasing real Iranian rugs?

Thanks!

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Little-Persia Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:50:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Although the global economy is in a poor way that doesn't mean that prices are going down - in fact in most countries inflation rates are sky high - certain things like clothing may go down but most commodities like oil and gas, electricity and food is going up. I don't know what it's like in the US or the UAE but in the UK inflation is around 5%.

In the countries where it really matters e.g. Iran and India it's up at around 10%!

This doesn't justify some of the price increases (some rugs from Afghanistan I've seen double in price in little over 2 years!) but it goes some way to explain it. Wool prices have greatly increased in recent times and the producing countries' cost of living and therefore wages are on the rise. The rising cost of oil, artificially inflated or not, adds to the shipping cost which can be a significant addition. I'm not certain but I'm sure I've heard Afghanistan have introduced a form of sales tax which obviously also increases cost. A few years ago when buying rugs I would have to add around 30% to the cost of a rug to work out the real cost to get it to my door and pay the import duty and vat, now it's 40% and often higher.

You are correct in saying buying in Dubai isn't the best idea; they don't make them in Dubai, it's a rich place, just because it's closer to the source doesn't mean you are going to get a bargain. You probably didn't pay too much for the previous rug but I don't think anyone going to the UAE can really expect to get a bargain, you would probably get it for the same price in the US. The same goes for Turkey, most places tourists will find the rugs are tourist traps and you can't expect to get a great price.

However, even after all the price factors I don't think the new deal is a good one, especially if it's single knot and not double.

msdunkel Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:49:27 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Thank you for your reply.

As a follow-up, I've always preferred the best bang-for-the buck I can get. While I'm a complete amateur concerning rugs, I knew a few of the basics and from what I have to choose from, there simply isn't any competition to this rug dealer from Kashmir. I mentioned this to a friend at work who is much more knowledgeable on the subject and he said I shouldn't be "wasting my money" on Kashmir rugs and should instead buy true Persians. That said, he is quite biased since he is an Armenian born in Iran :).

Is there any real substance behind his advice to me, or is this mostly just personal bias?

Thanks,
Mike