Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Beating a rug as other method to get dust out?
jaco0582 Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:17:00 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

what about beating a rug to clean it?

what, for example, is done by traditional societies without/before vacuums? how do they get the dust out of big and small rugs?

was it all liquid washing, or did they hang the rug on a horizontal pole or ledge, then beat it laboriously with some proper kind of stick or switch?

thanks

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

jahannandsons Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:48:23 AM(UTC)

Yes! Beating was a must back in the old days and today in the old country. If rugs are/were not beaten prior to wash then when the rug was washed, the dust settled into the rug would make a mud that would in turn get caked into the foundation and one day cause it to crack. Sometimes you can find old rug beaters (they look like giant fly swatters) in antique shops.

Today, you can just vacuum the rug front AND BACK in order to get the same and much easier effect as beating. Vacuuming the back of the rug every so often is a very good way to catch all of the dust that has settled and also to prevent moth damage as moths like to eat rugs from the back.
Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
4210 Howard Ave | Kensington, MD 20895
301.530.6660 | www.jahannandsons.com
Rugfirm Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 10:11:39 AM(UTC)

This method of dust removal was used many years ago. Even today, getting the dust out of a rug is done by some machines that have rotating shafts placed over and below the opening where the rug is pushed into the device, just like a Fax machine. As it is pulled through, the shafts will be rotating and beating the rug with heavy U-shaped metals from top and bottom thereby forcing the dust out. As Jahannandsons explains, failing to get the dust out properly can result in accumulation of mud in the body of the rug and eventually crack the foundation. Personally I think getting the dust out is more crucial than the washing process itself.
silkrugcleaning Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2011 12:42:35 AM(UTC)

As Rugfirm mentioned above, getting it thoroughly beaten is more important since you'll also have less to actually clean when it comes time for wash. I usually recommend to clients a quick vacuum from different directions of the pile before and after they beat it out. Helps to get a deeper clean, even before you touch it with soap and water.

Little-Persia Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:52:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Vacuuming alone is pretty ineffective. You can vacuum a rug all you want, back and front, and when you beat it 9 out of 10 times dust will still fly out it.

There are rug beating machine both industrial and portable but they are expensive.

I've seen the compressed air method which jets in high pressure air to push out any dust, I don't know if this is a more economical method or not or how safe it is on the rugs - does anyone know?

Failing that the good old fashioned hanging and beating is the only option.
KAD Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 6:22:17 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Beating the rug once in a while is a good way to get dust out of your rug. But it is far better to have it done by a professional since they have better equipment. I posted a lnik to a video of our rug resoration shop so you can see the process.
First we do manual beating to see if the rug is still elastic and felxible (very important for old / antique rugs). This is done best by manpower. Then thr rug passes the dusting machine - there you can see the paddles Rugfirm mentioned. After this procedure the washing process can start.
The video is in German, but you can see what is going on.

Beating and washing of a rug
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

randall99 Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:29:47 AM(UTC)

done this when i was a room attendant in a hotel, it is when our vacuum malfunction and i need to improvise so i use a broomstick and a push brush to take away the dust. :)
joseph Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 3:43:51 PM(UTC)

KAD wrote:
Beating the rug once in a while is a good way to get dust out of your rug. But it is far better to have it done by a professional since they have better equipment. I posted a lnik to a video of our rug resoration shop so you can see the process.
First we do manual beating to see if the rug is still elastic and felxible (very important for old / antique rugs). This is done best by manpower. Then thr rug passes the dusting machine - there you can see the paddles Rugfirm mentioned. After this procedure the washing process can start.
The video is in German, but you can see what is going on.

Beating and washing of a rug

Thanks KAD, that explains the cost of having a rug professionally cleaned, my girlfriend is from Germany and she has a few nice rugs that need a cleaning, could you recommend anyone here in the Southeast US who cleans rugs like that?

Joseph