Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

shortening the rug by cutting out the decoration between the rug and the fringes?
lilon Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:26:02 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,

I am new to this forum, so I hope my questions are not too dumb or out of place.

I purchased a large second hand (4 x 3 meter) Afghani rug (I think they are called Muhammadi).

As you can see in the added pictures, there rug makers added an extra decoration between the end of the rug and the fringes which I don't find appealing. Also, I am not mad about the long fringes (I've got small kids in the house and would rather have short fringes like most other Muhammadi rugs which I have seen).

I imagine that for some of you changing the original look of a rug would be regarded as blasphemy, however, my first question is about replacing the ends of the rug by taking out the decoration and changing the fringes to small ones. How difficult is it, how expensive should it be, will it devalue the rug, is it a bad idea and if so why?

My other question is: I've got a heavy teak dining table and teak chair sitting on one end of the rug. How often is it recommended to turn the rug around to avoid crushing the rug under the table permanently.

Thanks so much
lilon attached the following image(s):
IMG_1759_2_1.JPG
IMG_1750_2_1.JPG
IMG_1782_1_1.JPG
IMG_1779_4_1.JPG
IMG_1761_4_1.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Rugfirm Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:53:24 PM(UTC)

Of course it would not be a good idea to take the Kilim decoration out. You will make it out of its original state. However, if you decide to have it done, the Kilim will be taken off and a chain stitching added to the end of the pile where the fringe starts to prevent the pile from unraveling. This will cost you $200-250.
lilon Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:20:21 AM(UTC)

Thanks so much for that.

Could I alternatively just fold the kilim and fringes downward and use the rug without them, as shown in picture 4 (one before last)? or will this ruin the rug along the crease of the fold?

Thanks again.
Rugfirm Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:55:55 AM(UTC)

Yes, you could do that and it will not damage the rug in any way. I would say this would be a safer way to go.
fredgrower Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:02:55 AM(UTC)

*Here's my view:
Before you alter the rug, ask yourself if you're ever planning on selling it...if no, go ahead and change it to suit your style. Fringes can be cut shorter, but to remove the Kilim leaves you with a few different options on finishing the edge. If I were attempting this (I do my own repairs because I'm crafty/thrifty), I think I'd do it the hard way, maybe untying the knots in the fringes, unraveling the kilim, retie the knots, cut fringe shorter. I have seen videos where they just tape the fringe under the rug (seems like it would be lumpy), or cut kilim long enough to fold into an edge and stitch to secure. The cutting and chain stitch is probably the easiest, but risky, the fringe is part of the foundation, so if it's not secure, it will weaken the rug. (I've seem lots of rugs that are falling apart on the edges from losing the fringe)

As for rotation, I rotate every time I vacuum (sadly, about every 2 weeks), I vacuum the rug, roll it (checking for any sign of bugs on the backside) unroll in opposite direction. Moving furniture is a pain, but finding out bugs are making a home under your rug is a nightmare! This will also help even the wear pattern. (Easier for me as my rugs are smaller)

*note of caution: I'm not a rug dealer, seller, or professional repairer. I live with a collection of rugs that I've learned to repair, clean and enjoy...sometimes it seems like a lot of work, but worth it!!
PS: any sort of fabric folded a long time (an walked on) can become damaged at the fold...
KAD Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:58:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

It is no problem to get the kelim border off. But you should have it done by a professional who can secure the fringes correctly. It is also no great iinfluence in value since these rugs often come with this border, sometimes they don`t. I agree with Rugfirms appraisal for the work. Consider to have it washed and give it a new moth protection when you have the rug in the workshop - you should always do this before you bring a used rug home.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

lilon Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:36:49 AM(UTC)

Thanks again everyone for the informative answers. I have, at least for the mean time, folded the kilim and fringes, and in the long term, will look into the possibility of trimming the ends.