Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Greetings from Afghanistan.....
CIVILIANinAFG Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:21:08 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I am a civilian contractor here in Afghanistan. We have a local vendor whose family makes authentic hand made rugs. I was wondering if there is a market in the US for these types of rugs?
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Rugfirm Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:38:07 AM(UTC)

Yes, of course there is a market for hand knotted rugs. However, keep in mind that the selection needs to be done by somebody who has enough experience with the current trends in the market. It is very unlikely that just importing Afghan rugs into the U.S. would be a profitable business for someone who lacks the experience.
CIVILIANinAFG Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:47:42 AM(UTC)

Rugfirm wrote:
Yes, of course there is a market for hand knotted rugs. However, keep in mind that the selection needs to be done by somebody who has enough experience with the current trends in the market. It is very unlikely that just importing Afghan rugs into the U.S. would be a profitable business for someone who lacks the experience.

I am no expert at all in rugs I was just at the bazaar today and some soldier purchased a rug and I asked him "how much would that go for in the US" and he gave me a ridiculously high number. I am just trying to see if anyone would be interested in purchasing these, I can buy them and send them to you. Since your sig says rugfirm.com I can imagine that you are an established dealer or collector and I can even send you one and if you like we can talk about future purchases. If it is not up to your standards than just send it back, he sells rugs of all sizes. Also this applies to everyone.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:59:34 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Be very careful with this. It really does not make much sense. Far easier to get the rug out of the country than back in, you could do okay with a few here and there then over buy and get duped. Just not a good idea. I would not take the word of a seller overseas on the American market. If it were that good, they would be here. Also keep in mind, a rug is not something that sells fast.